We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC warranty/graphics card question

Armchair

Likes # 0

If I buy a new desktop PC from an online supplier (eg CCL, Novatech etc.), and then install a graphics card bought from elsewhere, will the PC's warranty be invalidated or not?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would imagine it would.

Maybe take out the new Graphics card and it should be Ok

I suppose if you even open it unless told to do so by whom you bought it from could also affect the warranty.

If you had problems after installing the card then I would imagine you would not be covered.

But then again that is only my views with no experiance on the matter,So best waiting for others to help.

I would imagine the FE would be one of the best to ask as he has wide knowledge of problems like that.

Maybe explain why you ask and who you got the computer from and if the company has refused to fix or repair the problem.

Like I said those are only my views and I would certainly wait for others who can explain completely what your warranty covers.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you remove the original graphics card and fit an incompatible graphics card, then the retailer will most likely refuse to offer assistance.

If you are intending to buy a new computer, then ask the retailer direct regarding their company policy. At least then you should have it in writing, if things go wrong.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I haven't bought anything yet. The PCs I'm considering have integrated GPUs, either on the motherboard or built into the CPU. I was thinking of buying one of these, and using the on-board GPU for a few weeks until I get a discrete GPU (possibly a knocked down in price refurbished one).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is from Novatech,

" Warranty & Returns In addition to any manufacturers warranty all products, except consumables and input devices, are covered by our own 12 month return to base warranty. If you wish to return any faulty item you must first contact our Technical Support Department and obtain a Product Returns Number. You must use any manufacturer repair service or on-site arrangement provided. Any on-site arrangements apply to mainland UK only.

Product Misuse Should any equipment malfunction as a result of abnormal environmental factors (including without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing mains power transients or dropouts, electromagnetic interference, extremes of humidity, vibration, electro-static damage , temperature or pressure or chemical corrosion then all costs incurred by the company in repairing such equipment and investigating the causes of the malfunction shall be payable to the company.

Force Majure The company will not be liable for any breach of agreement, for delay or failure to perform if the delay or failure is due to acts of God, civil commotion, riots, floods, drought , fire, legislation or other cause beyond the companies reasonable control. This does not affect your statutory rights. If the company choose not to enforce a right under this agreement, that decision will not prevent the enforcement of other rights, or the same right on a later occasion.

Liability Under no circumstances shall the company be responsible for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages."

Seems fair enough.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features