We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cheap Online Auction Site

griffon56

Likes # 0

The other night I chanced to come across Dealfun.com on a Curry's or Amazon page, can't remember which, but the page was legit. I went to Dealfun.com and had a look at what was going on. It seemed that a 15 second bid period was in use with new, boxed guaranteed LED/LCD TV's etc., going for sums like £49 and plasmas for £150. All supposed to be overstock, firesale or bankruptcy stock. There were brand new, apparently, Kindles going for £18.

Is this site too good to be true, as it looks, or is it bonafide and worth a dabble. Anybody any advice?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

These sites make their money by charging users each time they make a bid. The US site I've just checked charges 60c per bid.

Assuming they're selling a Kindle and 200 bid they've collected the $120 a Kindle normally costs, plus whatever they make from the eventual sale.

Yes they're legit, and you do get genuine bargains if you win, but far more people lose than win - just like going to the Bingo

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thank you alan14, I suspected there was a catch in it. Your answer also explains why, when the Dealfun page opens it's on the Register part of the page, desperate to get you signed in. I suppose it's a matter of luck as to whether you cast the winning bid with a whole lot of wasted bids in between.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......