We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Curious partitioning on PackardBell iMedia D2525UK

griffon56
Resolved

Likes # 0

The hard drive on this desktop is split in half, the first labelled PackardBell C: and the second labelled Data D:. The Win 7 64 bit OS is on the C partition together with a Library containing the usual folders like, Pictures, Music, Documents, Downloads, etc. You'd think they would be on the Data D: partition to protect them in the event of system corruption, but no, you can't transfer the Library to the D partition tho' the system saves by default to it. In effect PB are wasting half of the 500GB hard drive. Anybody got any idea why they've done this?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's exactly the same on my Asus desktop.

My guess is that it's easier to produce a recovery disc that puts everything in a single partition, and they assume that savvy users will move their user folder to the D: partition then point the library entries at the new location.

Personally I've got all my music and a back-up of my documents folder on the D: partition, with a mirror of this D: partition on a NAS drive

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You can move the "My Documents" to the data drive. Click C:\Users\Yourname\my documents. Click on Properties.In Location tab move to data drive.(Whereyourname is your user name.)

Like this post  
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thanks both for constructive replies, I will do that. The idea of a recovery folder on a separate partition is a good idea but not to create one as big as half the disc capacity to do so.

It sort of looks as tho' PackardBell got the computers as a job lot, re-badged 'em and flogged 'em out cheap before people cottoned on to the unwieldy configuration. Having pursued this thro' Curry's home page there are people all over the country who have bought the things, I wonder how many realise how small their hard drive has been rendered by PB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...