We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to spend £600 in PC World

lptpEoin

Likes # 0

Finally, after numerous "repairs", pc world have agreed to replace my laptop. I have a voucher for £590 to use. I had a fine HP but hardly used any of its potential.

I like to look things up,stream the odd match or you-tube but not alot more than that. I use an external hard drive to store music and fotos.

I think I might split that voucher and pick up a small laptop for college and have a larger one for home so I would like advice on how best to spend that voucher in PC world.

I am also a gadget freak so if people have ways to spend the voucher like that I am happy to hear suggestions.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 1

I would suggest that you invest at least some of the money in another external hard drive. Taking your comments at face value, you have all your photos and music on an external hard drive. You really do need a back up for them! Such a drive need cost no more than £50. Acer, Dell, HP, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba are all good makes.

there sem to be 15.6" Intel i3 laptops on their website for around £500.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

How about the iPad2 from PC~World?

Like this post
lptpEoin

Likes # 0

To 100andthirty:- Good advice on the external hard drive. I'l check out that laptop. I was hoping to get a decent mid table laptop and a small netbook (for word/office) for college.

To chub_tor:- I was looking at that but is it slower with less processing power than a laptop? It would look nice though :-)

Im still looking to get the best value out of my voucher i.e decent laptop and small net book or gadget etc. so any more advice appreciated.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Why spend it at a box-shifters store. Go to Novatech, unless, of course you are just windo shopping!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have a desktop, laptop and ipad2. The ipad2 is great but there are things that it cannot do as well or not at all like a laptop. No DVD drive, no flash are just 2 points. Some PowerPoint animations don't work on an ipad. But I still think it is great.

HondaMan - the OP can only spend it at DSG. They are PC World vouchers - see first post.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

So sell 'em and buy elsewhere. The legality of giving vouchers could perhaps be challenged.

Like this post
lptpEoin

Likes # 0

I suppose what I am looking for is the best laptop for £400ish and the best netbook/tablet for £200ish, and as its a PCworld voucher I have to spend it there

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A tablet is great for when you are out and about, good for reading the internet, getting your e-mails, fires up quickly and is fine for that and may well be better than a netbook. But if I had to purchase one item I would buy a laptop. £200 will not buy a good tablet.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The problem I have found with netbooks in the £200 region is that they all come with Windows 7 Starter - which in my opinion is crap - and with 1Gb RAM which is insufficient to run Windows 7 Home Premium at a reasonable speed. If you get one of these low end netbooks (as I did) you will soon find yourself spending out more money to get it to run efficiently. If I was starting from scratch today and had £600 to spend and did not want a tablet (which as Woolwell says is desirable but has limitations) then I would look for one of the newer lightweight laptops with a screen around 13 inches and has a DVD drive. These can be found for sure at Toshiba and Dell and probably others by now.

Like this post
lptpEoin

Likes # 0

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Asus Transformer Eee with keypad http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3278614/asus-eee-pad-transformer-tf101-review/?tab=verdictTab#top and the Lenovo G570 http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3292371/lenovo-essential-g570-review/.

I had to spend an extra £100 but I feel I got 2 good machines for my money. I did get an ASUS A52F-EX1393S 15.6" but returned this the next day. The keys were sticky (had to press hard on them) and the touch pad made the cursor jumpy.

I now want to find out as much about what I got so I can get as much out of them as possible. Thanks to all who gave me feedback.

P.S. I have set up a new post if you want to suggest ways of getting super cool things to do with my new devices http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/20/absolute-beginners/4077645/to-use-my-devices-to-their-potential/. No suggestions that contain bending over will be entertained.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good