We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fake goods on .co.uk web sites

octal
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just a general question. There is a web site that is selling fake goods, the goods are sent from Taiwan, the goods are offered through a .co.uk web site. If I'm not mistaken this seems like a loophole as they probably don't come under the distance selling regulations. There are no contact details on the web site, only the usual form to fill in, but doing a whois trace on the web site reveals a registrants address.

My question is, is it worth telling Trading Standards of this scam? And what other party would be interested in knowing about it? And would a Registrant be liable for the activities on the web site?

Thankfully, I haven't fallen for any scam like this because I'm always weary of sites that don't give proper contact details, like an address, but I do know a party who has and it's not just the loss of money but the disappointment of receiving substandard goods, especially when kids are involved.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I would inform them. UK sites must by law provide contact details on the site. May stop others getting scammed.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Probably an idea to inform someone at the company who makes the real goods as well.

The European legislation coming into force seems to a stemmed from action taken by the luxury goods manufacturer LVMH against Ebay for the sale of fake perfumes on the site

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

alan14

That's a good point, the company that are producing the fake goods are Disney products, seeing as Disney are a global company with lots of money then they won't be best please at losing revenue.

I will pass on all your comments to the person concerned, as they are on another forum.

I'm not sure if I should put a link into the site concerned at the moment without guidance from the FE, I don't want to get this site into trouble if the published site take umbridge, although the link has been published on the other forum.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"UK sites must by law provide contact details on the site."

Yes, but that's not much help when a trader gets hold of a .co.uk domain name and runs it on a server in South Korea.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"..the company that are producing the fake goods are Disney products"

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that. I imagine you meant 'The goods being offered are fake Disney products'.

As for publishing a link to the site concerned, I would prefer that you didn't do that, and thanks for asking. We don't want to provide free advertising for anyone in such circumstances.

Like this post  
octal

Likes # 0

'The goods being offered are fake Disney products'

That is what I meant to say, thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers