We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change at Amazon?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just been on to Amazon about a piece of kit that failed after less than three months.

They immediately referred me to the manufacturer.

Plenty of retailers try this on, of course, but I'm surprised that one with Amazon's reputation and experience should try this.

I've disabused them of the idea, naturally, but hope this doesn't signal any sort of change at Amazon Customer Service.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Would you clarify something from your last.

In your orginal post you made no mention of Amazon saying "Nothing to do with us" simply that they referred you to the manufacturer.

Did Amazon say this to you or were talking more generally, saying that if that was said then it would, as we would all agree, be wrong.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As others have said, it's often much better to deal directly with the manufacturer, after first contacting the retailer of course.

I work in a technical support department, our company sells well over 20,000 products from RJ45 plugs to servers costing well into 5 figures.

Whilst we can offer first line support for many products it's often far better to speak direct to the manufacturer.

Some manufacturers want us to provide the bulk of the support, others prefer to deal with issues themselves.

Coming from Amazon, if they said to talk the manufacturer I wouldn't hesitate in doing so.

by the way, the "Sale of Goods act" is a hideously complex piece of legislation and contains many shades of grey...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think there is basically a difference in attitudes to suppliers here.

This is an expensive item (a smartphone) which failed in less than two months.

So far as I am concerned that is replacement territory, and I was not prepared to be without it for anything up to six weeks, if previous experience is anything to go by, in an exchange of correspondence, and eventual repair, dealing with the manufacturer.

If others are prepared to go down that route, that is their prerogative, of course.

Following my rejection of Amazon's initial response the replacement was in my hands less that 24 hours later.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

In which case you made the right decision, but it's not always the case.

If you'd mentioned it was a phone in your first post though I doubt anyone would have disagreed, as phone companies seem to be the worst people to deal with...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July