We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop PCs Dead

antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

It saddens me that when I looked for a desktop PC on PC World's website there was hardly any choice.

It is all very well having laptops and tablets and netbooks and palmtops...but the ability to modify any of them is very limited. The ability to open up the case and change a part for a better part or to replace it, has died with desktops.

This makes me very sad indeed. I have a laptop but would love a desktop because they are just so much more powerful and easily modifiable.

I guess I am just going to have make a custom one.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I'm sure you are looking in the wrong place, I've just recently bought this one from Ebuyer and along with a decent graphics card and put Linux Ubuntu on it, it really is a decent computer for what I need, it comes without an operating system, as I only use Linux so that is no problem for me.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There's plenty of desktop PCs available, but they've become such a commodity item that they're all pretty much alike.

When I bought our current PC earlier this year I was stunned at the power available for less than £400 (without monitor).

Remember PC World is the Tesco of the computer market, so they only stock what sells in huge numbers, if you want something different try one of the online sellers like Ebuyer or Scan

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch

From Speakers Corner.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 1

i have a smartphone but hate using the internet on it, hate all this resizing etc with fingers. ok only for apps.

also have a netbook & laptop but to me cannot beat a selfbuilt desktop know it inside out and is the best for surfing.laptops are a pain with makers modifying drivers making it a real pain to update them and sort out hardware probs.

all this finger touch computing with ipads, tablets not for me. not sure what i will do when w8 comes in, hoping it will have keyboard and mouse functions for those that prefer these.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Desktops are not dead yet by any means. Easy to build and repair if you are prepared to do a little work and they usually have loads of upgrade potential. As Octal and Alan14 rightly say look around to some of the excellent online sites like Novatech, CCL , Scan and so forth. I lke my Netbook and my Laptop but my desktop gets most use

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i use novatech and get good service, also look at amazon too for some bits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There's no doubt that the market for home-user desktop PCs has shrunk considerably.

It's down to market forces - people are buying laptops and tablets instead. You can still find a wide range of machines if you shop around amongst the smaller suppliers, and of course you can always build your own, as you suggest.

Like this post
antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

I am worried that if I build my own, components will become hard to buy in the future as people won't be buying them any more?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"components will become hard to buy in the future as people won't be buying them any more?"

That's unlikely to be a problem. Components are readily available, and that's going to be the situation for a long time.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

memory modules 'RAM' might become hard to get in the future, so I would shop around now for memory upgrades for your proposed desktop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad