We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad2 faulty?

Condom

Likes # 0

Her indoors is off on Saturday for 4 months to the far east. We got her an iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago and she has been leearning how to use it. A couple of days ago she tried the Apple plug in for her camera Sim card and 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't work and often displayed a fault message. We took it back to the shop and they re-installed all the software and after synch...ing it with her laptop it now works 9 times out of 10. I think there is still something wrong with it but the store want to book it in for repair with no chance of her getting it back before she leaves. Are we entitled either to a new machine or our money back as I really don't fancy the idea of it failing when she is overseas.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it now works 9 times out of 10"

That's not acceptable, it should work every time, all other things being equal.

A two-week old machine shouldn't need to go for repair unless there's a hardware fault. The retailer has already reinstalled software, and if that didn't work either the software is faulty, or there's a hardware fault. Ask for a replacement machine on the basis of this one not being fit for purpose.

You don't say where you bought the iPad - it might be helpful to know that.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. It was bought in Shrewsbury from ATComputers which is an Apple Premium Reseller and the shop has just opened.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I totally agree with FE's comments. I have one of the original iPads and the SD card connector has always worked perfectly.

Take it back and get a replacement.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well that was another wasted day. I phoned the shop this morning and told them it was still faulty and I was bringing it back. The Manager was there this time and I told him about my visit on Tuesday and all the things that had been tried but that it was still not working properly. He plugged a few things in and out of it but then told me that he would need to contact Apple before he could do anything and that there was no way that anything would be done before my wife left on Saturday. I again asked for a replacement product or a refund but the manager refused to do either. Not wishing to start an argument in the shop I then told him that this was his last chance to replace it as if he didn't I was going to buy another iPad as my wife needed it for Saturday and that I would then be only looking for a total refund. He just told me to leave which I did.

I know how to make a claim through the Small Claims Court but I'm unsure what I should presently do with the iPad apart from keeping it in a secure and good condition. I will also want to wipe it clean and I'm not sure how to do this.

I should add that her new iPad is working 100% (So Far)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that I would contact Apple, try to speak to a member of the Management, and tell them of your problems with their new Franchisee and then ask them whether they think that this is up to the standard of Apple's other Outlets.

I would do this without making any complaint and ask them what they would advise that you do.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would go with wee eddie suggestion and contact Apple.

A neighbour had a problem purchase the other month with one of our local Apple franchisee's. After purchasing the item he had a problem with the charging unit, I found on the internet that some other people had similar problems, so harmed with print-outs he returned to the store, and was duly told by the 'assistant' manager that the store could do nothing about it (only sell him a new charger). It took the manager, on another visit the next day, when the store manager had returned from his day off, to resolve the issues, and that was only after the threat involving Trading Standards or contacting Apple direct was made.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"He plugged a few things in and out of it but then told me that he would need to contact Apple before he could do anything"

He can contact Apple as much as he likes, but your contract isn't with them, it's with his store, and his store is liable for the fault in law. This machine is two weeks old, and the law states that unless the retailer can demonstrate otherwise it must be assumed that the fault was there when you bought the machine. You are entitled to a replacement or a refund,and as you have bought a second iPad I assume you'll be wanting the refund.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE, my point was not that he ask Apple to sort out the problem but to tell Apple that their Franchisee was not maintaining the Standards he Contracted to.

One would hope that Apple would then follow up with a call, to the Store, asking what was going on. From what I have heard, Apple expect a lot from their Franchisees and few remain poor for long.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Your post link refers to an iPod - this thread is about a faulty iPad. One letter makes a world of difference.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'