We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are Macs really much better for Digital photgraphy, over a windows PC?

edub2020

Likes # 0

Mac Vs Windows I'm confused. Wondering if I can gauge the community opinion please.

I'm looking to invest in next PC, but want to get something that best compliments my wife's new business (Digital Photography).

It turns out that virtually every arty-type photographer on the planet has decided to go for an Apple product.

The thing I don't understand is why?!

On paper, it seems that if you go for an Apple product it looks like you pay double the price for a lower spec machine (compared to a windows self build).

Is there really some hidden magic in Apple products that make them better for photography etc, or is it just maketing skills?

Thanks

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 1

Snobbery LoL. And "individuality".

When they run out of things to talk about (after about 30 seconds), the conversation can be swung round to the Mac.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

It's historic. Mac's used to be much better for graphics type work and media organisations all went Mac. There isn't really any difference now but media firms still mainly use macs. If your wife wants to exchange publications, etc with these firms then it may be best to go mac.

Await other's opinions though.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 1

Traditionally the best Desk Top publishing software was available on Macs, nowadays the software is the same on both platforms.

As covergirl says, "arty" types go for Macs claiming they're being individual, when in fact they're following the crowd.

Now if you asked this question about music editing then I'd say go with a Mac, and earlier this year I'd have said the same about video editing, but it looks like the latest version of Final Cut is causing some problems.

But for photo editing I'd stick with a PC, there's far more free or low priced photo editing software available for Windows

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

Given the choice between an iMac and a Windows PC for photo editing, and if I could afford one, I would go for an iMac with that big beautiful 27in screen.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

If someone else is paying a Mac is good, but I use a W7 PC with Photoshop CS5 with no discernable difference. I do not think the premium is worth it for a private user. A good monitor is worth having for either platform. If hssutton reads this , his opinion would be interesting.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 1

The only advantage I can see nowadays is the ability to use Aperture. I've tried it many times on a friend's Mac and I love it. But Lightroom is just as good (and available for both)And if you're running a photography business probably vital.

Like this post
edub2020

Likes # 0

Thanks all, for taking the time to respond.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia