We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Did anyone manage to nab the bargain of the year?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 1

By which I mean a brand new £399 HP tablet for £18?

Click here to read about it

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

Quite like it, not worth 475 probably half that, I still would prefer android over web os , the screen and build is fantastic, I am still going for av android port, browsing from the bed its my main use until my case comes, thats when it will com our of the house, battery life is good, good buy?

Yes

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When I saw the pre-release reviews I was highly optimistic - it sounded like the ideal business user's tablet.

I'm told it has some software glitches, and that these were to be addressed in an early update from HP. I'll be interested to hear your impressions further down the line, if you care to post an update.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

I'll post a few updates along the way

so far I do like it still, still the main annoyance is the poor application support, the browser works ok, I do miss the customisation of android, it is fairly restrictive, very simplistic, which can be nice.

I've heard reports of some web pages not working correctly, the only time i have found this so far is when a drop down search box appears on forum searches.

the sound is decent, the build quality is still good, the hp case is not cheap but works better than anything else.

I have not tried 1080p or 720p playback, but from what I hear it is limited here. an app off the market is needed, which I have not bought, this should really be standard.

My previous post still stands, not 475, but more ~£200 mark

It has made me lazy on weekends however!

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I, too, was lucky enough to snap up one in the firesale, and have played around with it for a while. It's a pretty good bit of kit but, I too would flinch at paying full price. Yes to sub £200, maybe a bit more for the "novelty" value that is still attached to tablets. I've got a (matching!) HP Mini 210 N550 and, for the first few days I was using the Touchpad exclusively. Then, by and by, I found myself using the HP Mini for the occasional job, and now it's mainly back to the Mini. It's not as sylishly swish as the iPad 2, but it is faster (once it is un-crippled - the 64GB runs at "natural speed, the 32 (and 16) was "declocked"). It is noticeably heavier, and that becomes telling after a few hours usage. However, I find it is more stable to hold (like a small digital camera may be more difficult to hold still). The shortage of apps isn't a problem for me - having spent peanuts on the tablet, I'm not going to invest heavily in software for it. The Touchstone charger is great - keeps it stable, and charges by induction. Battery life is also excellent- so long as you don't really overclock it. But, it's more of a toy/fun gadget for me. As far as work goes, I use my mini laptop instead. It might well excel at social media sites - but I'm just plain anti-social!

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

In case anyone missed the original firesale, the DSG group (Dixons, PCWorld and Currys)) have got Touchpads back in stock. They come as a kit (with charging stand and case, so they aren't quite as cheap), and they have both 16 and 32GB models.

Might not be quite the bargain it was, but it's still an excellent tablet for less than most of the no-name brands!

Doubt they'll be in stock long...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite