We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this laptop value?

qwerty52

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Been looking at laptops recently and this is the best I've found. Do you guys think it represents value for money?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-5375.aspx

I'm hoping to get a powerful laptop for general use that is also capable of some gaming, not cutting edge stuff (obviously at this price!), Minecraft etc. I know I don't need to spend so much just for Minecraft, and I'm keen to think what sort of games you guys feel this laptop is capable of running.

A very similar Dell XPS 15 is available for similar money, but with less RAM (6 Gb). Is Dell a better brand?

Are there other alternatives that I may have missed? £850 is the absolute limit for me.

Thanks for any help, Much appreciated.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Impressive specs. Unfortunately it appears to be £899 and therefore above of your "absolute limit" of £850. Or is there a £50 saving on that if you spend over £200 on laptops?

However, best idea would be to compare the specs with the available stock in Currys, PC World and Comet.

Although the beauty of buying from a supermarket is that they don't really know what they're selling, so when the laptop develops a fault or dies suddenly, they will probably just replace it without the fuss of a PC World Tech Guys investigation.

By the way, is Minecraft (etc) really so resource hungry - what I mean is do you really need an i7 processor and 8GB RAM? Or to put it simpler, are you wasting money when a £400-500 PC will fulfil the same function?

Like this post
qwerty52

Likes # 0

Yeah that's right, there's 50 pound off this laptop.

No I don't think Minecraft needs such a powerful laptop necessarily. But I'm not really sure what this laptop is capable of. Any extra performance is a bonus.

To clarify I'm looking for best performance for my budget as opposed to good performance from a low budget.

Do you feel this laptop is good value? Do you know of any alternatives that beat it?

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Seems reasonable. This is dabs.com offering Dabs.com

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Again - seems reasonable. At that price point you can get a few different manufacturers touting an i7, 8GB, 1TB HDD & BluRay, and for those specs you can even pay a little more or a little less.

Therefore if everyone is selling the same thing around the same price, it's VFM. You've obviously been shopping around and done your research. Go for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...