We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why wont Vodafone replace my faulty phone when I am still within contract?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

Why wont Vodafone replace a faulty Samsung Tocco F480 phone when it is still under contract? The reason the phone is faulty is due to a possible manufacturing fault by Samsung, as many users online with the same model have also experienced the same random freezing with the touchscreen refusing to work. It was sent to Vodafone recently for repair. They sent it back, claiming that the new firmware update they have installed, should have fixed the phone, but it has not. One day after receiving the phone back, it was freezing once again, with its touchscreen only working when it wanted to.

The contract is for one year, and ends next january. Phoning the Vodafone helpline today, a call centre member mentioned that they would not replace the phone. They do not want the freezing phone back, instead a NEW phone to start a NEW contract from this month should be chosen, with the remaining months of the old phone being added on to any chosen new one. They wont replace the freezing phone with one of similar value, to remain in the current contract. Surely under contract (since its not up until next year) they should be replacing the current freezing phone for free? The samsung tocco phone was on a one year contract, and has no damage. A new contract was surely not necessary. If remaining on the current contract, a new phone will not be given. They seemingly dont want to admit that the problem lies with the actual model. Can anything be done, or are these companies "always right" in their final decisions? If the phone was sent back a second time, a different model would have been expected under contract, but they wont even do that. Thanks for any help.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Under the terms of your contract with Vodafone the company must repair or replace faulty equipment it supplied, unless any of the following apply:-

a) You’ve damaged the equipment in any way (excluding wear and tear) b)The fault is due to something you’ve done; or c)The company told you about the fault before you bought the equipment

From what you've said, none of these exclusions apply. The phone is not fit for purpose, and the company must replace it or repair it.

You are under no obligation to enter into a new contract, simply because a phone has a fault. In my opinion you are being bullied by the Vodafone call centre.

Tell them I said so.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I would definately not agree into another contract, with a different model of phone or not, just to "fix" the issue, but I imagine many customers with the same phone have done. Vodafone themselves are unable to repair this model due to it being a Samsung Tocco f480 hardware issue, but even if it was constantly replaced with each final infinite freeze until my contract was over, they would likely replace it with the exact same model of phone each time. By the end of the contract, I would still end up with an eventually useless phone all the same. Knowing that I have bought this phone under contract, and that Vodafone can easily label this freezing issue as wear and tear even when its not, other than buying a new different model of phone myself, theres probably not much I can do.

I may have to consider the general warranty from the manufacturer-which could mean more emailing or complaining to try and get some sort of replacement from Samsung, for a model of phone of similar value, but not identical, if that was indeed possible. The phone has frozen again today after getting it back. I might try one last email or phone call to Vodafone first, but Id imagine it will be more of the same. Of course no one enjoys phoning call centres if emailing gets you nowhere-you just 'dont know who youre gonna get', but I suppose thats why you have to keep at them to get the right result (if the cost of the call is worth it).

Thanks for the reply :)

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

What I would do is to contact the CEO of Vodafone UK. Fully explain the problem and that you are not satisfied with the response from customer services

Guy Laurence, Chief Executive, Vodafone UK

e-mail:

guy.laurence@vodafone.com

or via this web page CEO Vodafone

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I found out that my phone is now out of warranty, so they can only upgrade me to a new contract, and they wont replace any phone itself. That didnt stop them attempting to repair it, curiously enough. After talking about the problem, vodafone have told me that a sim only contract is at least possible if I decide to purchase a new phone elsewhere. If I upgrade earlier than 8th october they may charge me a fee though :(

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Out of warranty meens that it is over 1 year old in which case they may not be liable for repair.

Not unless you were having the problems with it before the year ended and they have not repaired it properly.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Is it Vodafone telling you it is out of warranty?

SonyEricsonn comes with 2 yrs now, it may be worth checking the paper work with you phone and looking at the samsung site this is the case now (don't know about then !).Click here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I think my two year guarantee was up last july, so the repair was obviously now given out of kindness whilst I was still in contract. Im sure if more users complained about this freezing issue (or vodafone admitted it has an issue) then I might have gotten more out of vodafone, but my own phone only started freezing just after 2 years. The average mobile user probably has a phone for not much more than a year these days, so perhaps it has done me well after all. Its slightly annoying when its a manufacturing fault rather than vodafone. What a waste of money. Perhaps Samsung is to blame for not testing it fully and allowing companies to sell it to customers, but if the number of faulty phones of the same model is as high as many websites seem to suggest, then vodafone could have been noting the amount of complaints or models needing repair, and eventually deciding not to sell it, especially if they have been since its debut in 2008. Never mind! :) I have bought a £20 budget phone now that isnt automatically locked, so I can use it with my vodafone sim

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

There's your answer then, it's out of warranty. Your post was a bit confusing, i assumed it was less than a year old, as you say it is under a year contract ending next January.

Still, you have done probably the best thing by geting a cheap replacement.

Just search around when it comes to the end of your contract. Vodafone may offer you a loyalty reduction and others are also offering reductions. Some shops, like Phones 4u may even buy your contract out and have always offerred me better deals that the networks.

Having said that, I have just upgraded via the Orange Shop in town. I have been given a £36 contract for £27, with same minutes/text, more internet and swapables. Got the Xperia Arc, which seem quite a decent phone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback