We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC Under £300 @ PC World/Currys

Shark boy

Likes # 0

Hey everyone,

Need some ideas for a new PC from PC World/Currys/Dixons.

My old laptop died and I have up to £300 to spend on a new desktop PC.

It has to have the following specs (min)

3GB RAM 250GB Hard Drive Intel Core i3 Processor with Sandy Bridge WIRELESS ENABLED

Any ideas?

Thanks, Will

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Here's an idea - try looking on Currys / PC World websites and see what is available with your chosen specs. I think Comet sell the boxes without screen if you already have one.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would suggest that you consider buying from on-line manufacturers, where you should be able to get many more bangs for your limited bucks.

Dell are pretty reliable, and there are many other smaller Manufacturers our there.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I reckon that the OP has vouchers that must be used at DSG. Would help if range of places to buy was explained.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

A quick look at the PC World site shows that there are no desktop PCs that meet your price/specification requirements.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Here's one that meets your specs from ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/269813-acer-aspire-m3910-desktop-pt-sdxe2-188

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

It doesn't, though, because it uses a socket LGA1156 (not socket LGA1155).

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

With the budget you have quoted it is difficult to see where you would get a system using the new cores and motherboards. So to get picky is not your best way. However, if you have the reletivley low skills needed to put togther a modern system on a budget, look here http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/Intel+Overclocked+Bundles/Gladiator+Z68+Core+i5+2500K+4.30GHz+Overclocked+Bundle+?productId=45683

It is everything you need for in the case. You just keep the peripherals and update those as you go along

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Can You find an extra £40 PC

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

be aware though the link above states no Operating System as did mine, so you will need to consider that also

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...