We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Graphics Card Sub 100

Mort105

Likes # 0

Hi,

I need a new PCI-E graphics card for my computer as HD 2900 XT seems to be bust. Tried installing drivers but keep getting blue screen (using Vista).

Only option for now is to remove the drivers and not have a graphics card but am looking for a relatively cheap replacement.

Any suggestions, anyone bought one recently they'd recommend, looking for something around £60-80.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I'm using a Radeon 4890. It's fairly old but works very well and can now be picked up for about £70. Try Amazon, I think they sell them and their returns policy is excellent, should anything go wrong.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Have a look here for a comparison of graphics card.

For around £100 you could buy a nVidia 550Ti or a Radeon 6790.

For around £80 you could buy a Radeon 6670, or the cheaper 6670 with DDR3 instead of DDR5 RAM for around £60

The 4890s available on Amazon that ams4127 recommended are used and not actually sold by Amazon themselves. Doesn't necessarily mean you should avoid them, but it's not something I'd personally go for.

One final thing, are you absolutely certain your current graphics card is bust and it's just not a software problem that could be sorted by reinstalling Windows?

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the card, and it worked for a little while before the issue returned.

Wouldn't fancy reinstalling windows though...for the moment I've deleted the cards drivers and it's using the onboard graphics - not ideal but up and running.

It's probably only a matter of time before windows tries to reinstall it though and then back to blue screen again.

I'll probably go with a 6670 - just going to shop around to see which one to go for.

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

I had an issue which started with a blue screen, after a while my pc was ignoring the video card and going straight to the onboard.

Turned out to be a faulty pcie slot.

Hopefully your new card solves the problem.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

It's worked for about 2 years so probably the graphics card rather than the PCI slot. It seems to have happened after windows updated the driver, think it was around 8th August. Had hoped uninstalling and reinstalling with new / old drivers might fix it but no luck.

So it's going to be a cheap graphics card after payday and hopefully will work - might stear clear of ATI though as it seems like they caused the issue with the new drivers....

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

Just noticed they've placed some new drivers on the site today:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_vista-32.aspx#1

The last ones went up on 12/08/2011 - and I think these caused the issue. Going to try the new ones and maybe save some money if they work.

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

Good luck, hopefully that will fix the issue so you don't need to buy a new card.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it didn't correct the issue. I've tried a vareity of drivers from the originals and various updates along the way, and now the latest drivers. I think the HD 2900 is knackered.

Going to search for something up to £100 and not manufactured by ATI so the 6670 is out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014