We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

12V adapter for Dell Inspiron 1764 laptop

Gusto

Likes # 0

I bought a non-Dell 12V adapter which gives the required 19 volt output. When attached to the Inspiron I get the message "adapter not recognized, please install a Dell adapter". I complained to Dell about this and got a series of amazing replies (summarized below). 1. Any generic adapter will work with the Inspiron. My reply - "No it doesn't". 2. Sorry, I misunderstood and will send you a Dell adapter. 3. Sorry, some confusion, your adapter works OK. My reply "No it doesn't". 4. I would like to inform you that the auto air adapter you were using is not recognized because the system accepts adapters only provided by Dell. I am afraid to inform you that we do not produce auto air adapters that can be used [with 12 volts]. I saw no point in replying to this. (Dell now lists a 12 volt adapter}. I am puzzled because several vendors offer 12 volt adapters compatible with the 1764. Perhaps my laptop has aglitch. Any thoughts on perhaps tweaking the software or how to hit Dell on the head? (I read the a person from Dell sits on a PCA panel. Perhaps he would like to see Dell's version of customer care!).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

"I bought a non-Dell 12V adapter which gives the required 19 volt output"

Quote from the above. Is the 19 Volt output a Typo?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 1

Are you looking to convert 12v, such as supply from a car or caravan, to 19v for the laptop?

If so by far the easiest way to do this is to buy a power inverter like this one from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/175w-mini-invertor-with-usb-charging-socket-398486 or this from Play.Com http://tinyurl.com/4ywc5nx

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

I happen to know that this adaptor is required for use on a boat. It's not that I have special powers, Gusto contacted me via email to ask about a Dell contact.

Like this post
Gusto

Likes # 0

Thanks Alan 14. I had intended,if I failed to get any redress from Dell, to get a 230 volt converter from Maplin - but it isn't very convenient for a boat. I was not aware of the "Play" converter which is much more convenient. Thanks again. Gusto

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...