We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Amazon pull it off again

interzone55

Likes # 0

On Sunday I bought a refurbished 3G Kindle from Amazon after seeing an offer on another thread (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4066066/e-book-readers/).

I opted for the free delivery as it wasn't urgent, but the Kindle arrived in the post this morning.

If you're after a Kindle I recommend you look at the link in Bingalau's thread, because my refurbished Kindle is immaculate, it doesn't look like it's ever been used, and is still covered by Amazon's bullet proof 1-year warranty.

The only thing missing from the new version that's £36 extra is the main's charger, you only get a USB lead with this one, but it uses the standard micro-usb lead, so I'm just using my mobile charger at the moment...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

How much did it cost and how do you get your e-books on to it?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

The refurbed 3G Kindle cost £115.99, brand new ones are £152.

You can buy the WiFi only models for £111 new or £79.99 refurbed.

When you set the Kindle up you tie it to your Amazon account, then turn on the 1-click purchase system within your Amazon account. Once you purchase an E-Book it is sent to your Kindle automatically so that the next time you turn on the 3G version or activate the WiFi on a standard version, the book is downloaded onto the device.

I just did a test purchase of a short story and it was on the device within 60 seconds.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Amazon are expanding their UK distribution areas, so getting items from them might even be quicker, especially over the festive or 'bad weather' periods?.

I have weekly transactions via Amazon and Market Place sellers. All seem to have speed in reaching their destination, and perhaps more so if Amazon forefilled and serviced.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Other thread i said i was considering,reading this i have just ordered. Hope my experience is equal.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks alan14.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Welcome to the Kindle fan club !

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Received mine on the eleventh,pleasantly surprised.Some reason i thought there was a back light to read by.Am i mistaken.?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

daz60..If you want a back light you need to purchase the appropriate cover for it..I don't think they come cheap !

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

daz60

There's no backlight because the idea with the kindle is that it only uses power when turning pages or opening books, so it lasts ages between charges.

If you want a light you need to buy a case with a LED book light.

The official Kindle case with light will set you back £51, but it's good quality leather and the light draws power from the kindle, so no separate batteries required.

There's lots of cheaper cases with lights, but they're not as elegant.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

iscanut....alan14.

Thanks for the info..probably expected too much but still pleased so far.

Back to the Holy Trinity (PCA,Google,Web) for more purchase's,i must be improving the economy and paying the debt by now.

Wonder how many Kindle's to buy to do that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...