We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Landline Out of Order

Border View

Likes # 0

My BT landline went out of order on 27th July. With the exception of a couple of days 30th and 31st July I have had no connection either landline nor broadband since. In fact the whole of my village has been cut off.

To get online I have utilized my Three mobile broadband dongle.

But what recompense can I expect from BT/Openreach for having no landline for nearly two weeks. It is pointless telephoning helpline because we simply receive misinformation. I am too polite to call it lies. I have no information when my landline will be restored. My ISP is o2.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Calls diverted to my mobile. Guess what - my mobile phone went belly up this morning.

Found OHs mobile and got BT to transfer calls to that one instead. Whilst he was on, the chap from the call centre confirmed that my landline should be repaired today.

Two minutes after that call got a call from a senior member of staff at BT (we spoke the other day) for him to tell me he had checked with the Engineers and whilst they had restored 450 of the 900 lines in our village, the Engineers were confident that all would be repaired by MONDAY. He dismissed the information the chap at the Call centre had given me.

I give up.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

As a former BT cable engineer I can say that damaged (or stolen) main cables or cable joints can result in lengthy repairs.Each 'broken' wire has to be married up with the 'right' wire to make a successful repair.Crossed lines may result. It used to be, that when 'major' cable faults occured, everybody at BT (underground cable engineers in particular) would work 'flat out' to get customer's phones working within 2 days. I think 'cut backs' and general downsizing of BT has had a detremental effect on the speed of repairs in general.

Borderview - I hope you get compensation for BT's rubbish service. HB

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thank you for your comments HB.

Just an update - today Saturday 13th August at 1600 hours I was reconnected. To recap I have had problems since 27th July.

Older mobile phone went off for repair yesterday. Whilst in the o2 shop signed up for another contract and got a new Samsung Wave mobile. Bliss.

I expect a phone call from the chap at BT on Monday but do not anticipate anything other that empty platitudes and zilch in compensation. Even though I have had to top up my mobile broadband dongle and used excessive minutes on my mobile phone I bet they wont give me anything towards the costs.

I only pray that we get Cable in this area because I shall switch the moment it is installed.

Service from BT sucks.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Borderview

I would get in touch with BT's customer service management first thing tomorrow and go through your complaint in as calm a manner as possible.

We were once cut off by accident, they meant to cut off someone in Reading (01707 area code)but cut us off in Rochdale instead (01706) - the line was down for a day but we got £50 compensation, albeit credited to our BT account.

Once your area is on the 21CN fibre network this problem will be a thing of the past as the fibre won't be stolen as it's worthless, and if it is it's a fairly simple repair,and all the switching in the exchange is electronic, so no marrying cables up again.

With 21CN the only copper left is from the street cabinets to the houses, and it really won't be worth the trouble of stealing all the separate runs of bt cable

Like this post
Sheepish

Likes # 0

"Once your area is on the 21CN fibre network this problem will be a thing of the past as the fibre won't be stolen as it's worthless"

Don't bet on this - a town near us lost their phone network when idiots ripped out a lot of fibre optic cables, without realising it wasn't copper!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sheepish I was just about to say that.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sheepish & woodchip - as you know, lead-sheathed, BT cables ( with copper conducters ) were a big temptation for 'metal bandits'..."It's hard to make a decent livin' now from nickin' BT cables...all plastic!", the thief said to the Judge. :0)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Sheepish & woodchip

Read the next bit I wrote - "and if it is it's a fairly simple repair,and all the switching in the exchange is electronic, so no marrying cables up again."

As soon as a few idiots have wasted a night ripping up worthless (to them) fibre they'll go back to risking their lives ripping out the cables at substations and along railway lines...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow