We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Call to home phone from '00' - marketing scam or call centre?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a call from '00' this morning, but didnt get a chance to answer-the real number likely hidden,but has anyone had similar before? After googling, some state that 00 could have been a skype call, but ive never really used skype or share details such as home phone on most sites i sign up with unless its for shopping, so i would say thats unlikely. Since on 1471 the number is just '00' so at first i thought it could be a foreign call centre with a hidden number trying to sell off junk.. or agree to another full yr of talktalk (!) but i guess ill never know now. Does anyone know if i can ever track down who it was, eg by contacting bt/tt, (not that id bother finding out unless they became frequent)- and if they have had similar calls, who was on the other end? thanks for any info

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks, but tried already-nothing comes up for just '00', and the only net i have at the moment is through this mobile (who calls me bans most mobile numbers/prevents me from using its site-a message states that through 'octonet' i am prohibited from access).

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Possibly an engineer testing the line.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Numbers starting 00800 are international freephone numbers, we use them at work for our IT support, they're based in London but cover the whole of the EMEA (Europeon / Middle East / Africa) region, so 00800 number means that anyone in the region can call IT without it costing the local office a bean.

I've not heard of Skype numbers starting with 00, my Skype number I use when working from home is 01698, which is Motherwell I think...

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

It was definately NOT skype-just recieved another call, from '00000000' this time! i couldnt make out who they were, but they wanted to know one thing-what brand of tv i had! Indian caller, so, yet again, its 99% likely that TalkTalk have reset my option of having telemarketing calls once again. lol. This will probably the 5th time or more of telling them that i do not want any, but i imagine once your number is 'out there', theres no way of guaranteeing that they will stop completely. It probably doesnt help when they are sharing your details with telemarketing call centres abroad that they really have little control over, despite what theyd like you to believe. I never include my home phone when buying or signing up anywhere online, so i dont really think it could have been through anyone else, but at least now if i receive any more 00 numbers, ill know not to answer (!)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...