We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New TV advice needed, please..

MAJ

Likes # 0

Not for me but for a mate. The trouble with knowing a little about computers is that mates think you also know enough about phones, TVs and other new gadgets, to offer recommendations when they need to buy one. He needs a new TV (not 3D) shortly, so I'm trying to narrow a few down for him. Freeview wont be available here (N.Ireland) until sometime in 2012, so he'll probably be installing Sky or Freesat (freesat+ box option). He's looking for something in the region of a 42" TV, as his sitting room is a good size, probably full HD?? is that the same as "HD ready"??

Has anyone any suggestions on makes and sizes to go for, Panasonic, Sony, etc.? Also any recommendations on freesat+ boxes?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

It probably is - I didn't think of that!!

I shall now go and kick myself all round the house!

Like this post

Likes # 0

Perhaps it's just me but in all the years of owning tvs, crt and flatscreen, I have never had an internal tuner fail

And even if one did it's dead easy now to find dealers that offer, as standard, a 5 year warranty on flatscreen, starting with John Lewis and most Sony shops

As for motion blur, it's not usually a problem. Most lcd sets have 100hz (and even 200 hz) as standard

Motion blur sometimes happens when you turn on all the picture sharpening gizmos that some sets have

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Slightly off topic but "The trouble with knowing a little about computers is that mates think you also know enough about phones, TVs and other new gadgets, to offer recommendations when they need to buy one." is so true.

I consider myself an intermediate PC user/builder so therefore I must be a guru on mobile phones, laptops etc etc...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not Sharp? I have one a Led lit Aquos. Daughter as a 40 inch Led Sharp both are Led and HD with Free five year Warranty from Sharp.

PS Not t 3D but picture is that good you would think it was

Like this post

Likes # 0

Woodchip

Why not indeed. LG and Samsung also good these days

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

After much searching around the Panasonic TX-L42E30B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LED TV with Freeview HD and Viera Cast, at £584.90, seemed to be the perfect choice, that was until I read some of the reviews which mentioned 'light bleed' along the bottom of the screen. I visited a local TV shop to see if they had one in stock so that I could see for myself. There wasn't one in stock but it could be ordered for delivery in a few days, at a price of £750, nearly £200 more than Amazon. I guess I'll just have to keep searching.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

My advice is to have a play with the chosen set for the following reason:

We have two Panasonics in the house - both give fast response when changing channels and also the guide/info panel for what's currently showing and what's on next updates immediately with only the occasional glitch.

We also have a smaller set in the kitchen of the Lucky Goldstar brand. It is very slow changing channels, frustratingly so, and I often have to go into the other room to flick through on the Panasonic to see what's on what channel, decide what I want on in the kitchen, then go into the kitchen and select the chosen channel on the LG.

Also, you mentioned in your opening post that Freeview would not be available until next year and he was considering Freesat or Sky - well (as far as I know) Freesat works off the same dish as Sky. Then at 9.59pm you contradict this statement. Is this just an update from your friend?

Personally, I'm on Freeview - if Freesat were available when I bought I would probably have gone for built in Freesat, but technology changes; my Freeview set is not HD compatible :( but I suppose the early Freesat sets weren't either - or they will change in the future.

Either way, it would be sensible for manufacturers to build sets with a swappable receiver which could be replaced throughout the life of the TV when technology changes.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Hi Covergirl, many thanks for your reply. Yes my earlier posts do seem to contradict a little, let me explain. My mate asked me to help him search for a new TV, his old CRT is beginning to fail, he wants a new flat-screen TV and said he is prepared to go to £800 maximum, both of us know little about TVs. Before I posted this thread, I read about Freesat, Freeview and some info on TVs which confused me, so I started the thread. Then I remembered that he had (on prior occasions) talked about "seeing a program on his digibox", so I phoned him to see what he meant by a "digibox" and it turned out that he could receive Freeview, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad, reception-wise. Freeview, here in N.Ireland, wont be fully available until near the end of 2012. I, for example, can't receive Freeview at all, yet my mother, who lives about 200 yards away from me, can receive it; my mate lives about two miles away, the TV shop that I visited can't receive it either, it's about a mile away from me. Freesat+ sounded good to me, so I mentioned it to him, but he's not too fussed on having a dish, so that's Sky and Freesat out, you are correct by the way Sky and Freesat use the same satellite. Also, Covergirl, thanks for the heads-up on the slow channel changing, I'll watch out for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......