We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

green 10% energy

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looking at a new build i hope to get involved with.

the council planning insists on a green energy saving where 10% enegy must come from the leaflet looses me.

well i have looked at sloar panels they seem to be a cash cow as you never recoup the cost with so little energy from them.

biomass boiler looked this up its a wood fired boiler do not live near woods and do not want to spend all day stoking up the boiler with wood also does not seem too green to me.

hot air/water from deep thermals well no geysers or volcano's nearby

anyone got any advice ideas please trying to deiscuss this with local planning is impossible as i can never get them on the phone.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If only one could have one's own self-contained mini nuclear power station in the cupboard under the stairs...I don't think there are any on the market yet :o]

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you can get solar water panels, that works better than electric ones. also council offer gov grants toward things like these

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"..well I have looked at sloar (solar) panels they seem to be a cash cow.." I think you are right - our weather is not conducive to efficient practical solar energy capture and conversion into electricity.You might be able to boil a kettle of water on a good day.How many good days to have a bath?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Solar photovoltaic panels do work and imo are better than solar water heating.

Ground source heat pumps do work well. I have a friend who built his own house and has one and it works really well. Ground source heat pumps

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell - installation costs look a bit steep...and there are a lot of variables in the equation...but this scheme would definitely work ( to maximum efficiency) in hotter climes.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Solar panels are being fitted free in our area, they have to meet criteria like south facing etc they put electric back into the N/Grid and you get an allowance over so many years. But it looks like it worth it. if you have a big roof. Sponsored by Gov

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks every for feedback

Woolwell read your, i am right in thinking that i will still need gas central heating and a gas boiler and this underwater thing just supliments it

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My friend lives in an area without natural gas (lpg is available) and I am fairly certain that he uses the ground pump for all of his heating and does not have a boiler. His house is very well insulated and I think that they may have a wood burner too.

With all of these things you have to balance out the installation costs against the theoretical saving and it could many years before you see a real saving.

If you are having a new build then your architect is the best person to provide the advice. He or she should know what is required in the area, what the local council will accept and what is right for your building. The choice of architect is critical.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I agree with Woolwell - talk to your architect.

The current building regulations are pretty strict when it comes to energy saving, and your local authority building control officer will want to see a high standard of insulation in walls, roofs, and concrete floor slabs, airtight door and window frames, energy-saving lights, etc.

You'll need to install an energy-efficient boiler and heating system.

A ground- source heat pump system will be very expensive to install, will normally only provide some of the heat for the house, and it will be a very long time before you recover the cost through energy supplied from the ground. In simple terms it involves excavating a 2 metre-deep trench around the perimeter of the site, and installing a coil of plastic pipe containing a mixture of water and anti-freeze. In principle it operates like a giant refrigerator in reverse. The heat from the ground is recovered and pumped around your heating system, returning (cooled) into the ground loop.

Theoretically it is possible to heat a house entirely using this system, and that would be easier to do with a new build, given the amount of insulation you will have. It would involve leaving the pump to run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but it can work, as long as you can swallow the high installation cost.

Talk to your architect.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i have emailed the council to send him a copy of the leaflet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers