We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Heaven with 7" or "Wait for 8"

wee eddie

Likes # 0

My XP PC will need to be replaced in the next couple of years. Well, I think it's by June 2014 anyway.

What's the general feeling?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Windows 8 will be heavily weighted in favour of touch-screen technology and cloud computing. You might feel that it's preferable to opt for the tried and tested reliability and performance of Windows 7, which has quite frankly been an outstanding success.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I would suggest stick with W7 for now. It is a very fine Operating System. Few problems and a lot of satisfied customers now. It redressed the disappointment most felt about Vista.

I for one don't want to be a guinea pig for a new concept within W8 whose first offerings may not suit me albeit I am sure MS will eventually make it popular -eventually! If you have a spare PC to explore it you may be rewarded but for a primary PC the time is not yet ripe

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've got Win 7 on a laptop & PC, it seems to run flawlessly.

I've had no problems with drivers either, which is always a worry when buying a new PC when you have some older hardware.

Only problem I had was getting my laptop to talk to a HP network laser printer that had no Windows 7 driver, I eventually managed to get it to work with a Vista driver

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Looking back at the Windows record, they seem to run alternately good (well at least reasonably so) and awful. I'm still with XP, for the moment, but will be upgrading to Windows 7 once I can get all my hardware sorted. However, given history and what Windows 8 is planned for, I think my next upgrade after that will probably be Windows 9!!

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it has been reliable so far. It feels quick and it is amazing how quickly you warm up to the new features.

I am not sure about Windows 8 since the touch screen features are irrelevant to me. I will hang onto 7 until you can no longer get the latest version of direct x I think and that is only when the games start using it.

Personally I would go with Windows 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger