We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Knowhow previously TechGuys

NikNak70

Likes # 0

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to get my laptop back? It was collected from my home address on 1st July for repairs. I was called and told that a new motherboard had been ordered and would be repaired once it had been delivered. On the 18th July, I received a text informing me that the laptop would be returned to me on Friday 22nd July. On the morning of 22nd July, I phoned enquiring what timescale the delivery would be. I was then told that I shouldn't have received a text as the laptop wasn't being returned to me yet as it hadn't been received back into the distribution centre. I was then given a new date of Sunday 24th July. I was told that I could check online after 9pm the evening before delivery to find out an estimated delivery time. I did this and the time was between 10.30 and 2.30. After this time had passed and I hadn't heard or received anything, I called and was told that there wasn't a delivery date on the system. The advisor then tried to call the distribution centre for some information but nobody picked up. The office was closing shortly after, so there was nothing I could do but wait until Monday. Before calling on Monday, I checked online and there was a delivery date for Friday 29th July. I then phoned knowhow/tech guys and said that I wasn't prepared to wait that long. I was given an earlier date of Weds 27th July. Again, I checked online the evening before and the estimated time was between 05.44 and 09.44. Checked again on Weds morning and message stated that there was a problem and for me to call them. If I hadn't checked, then I wouldn't have known to call! For once, I spoke to somebody who wanted to help me. She messaged the distribution centre and also passed on my experience to the investigation team. I had a phone call from the investigation team that evening informing me that they had been in touch with the distribution centre querying the whereabouts of my laptop. This would possibly take up to 72 hours. On Friday 29th July at just after 9am, I had a phone call from the distribution centre saying that the laptop was being returned to me on that day and that I would receive a phone call from the driver letting me know what time. After 3 hours had passed, I began to lose faith again and decided to call and confirm this. I spoke to a guy who said that on the system, it was showing up as a delivery date of Sunday 31st July but that it was possible that someone may have amended this manually on paper. He said he would call them himself and would then call me back. He called back and said that he had been told that my laptop had gone on the delivery van half an hour earlier along with other failed delivery items for customers. I was told that I would receive my laptop that day. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and I found out when I called later that evening that the very helpful guy I had spoken to, hadn't put any notes on the system! Another guy that I spoke to then tried to call the distribution centre but again, nobody picked up. He emailed them and suggested that when I phone on Saturday morning, I request that this now be escalated to a manager. I phoned this morning at 8 o clock and asked to speak to a manager but was repeatedly told that a manager wouldn't be able to do anymore than the guy I was speaking to. He phoned the delivery centre and was told that my laptop wasn't in yesterday so couldn't be returned but it is there now and would be delivered to me tomorrow Sunday 31st July. I kept asking him to refer me to a manager but he just kept speaking over me until I hung up. I tried calling a different number and spoke to a lady who told me the same as the previous guy. She said I should wait until tomorrow and then if my laptop isn't returned, call them again and then have it escalated to a manager (which is what I asked her to do). If it isn't returned tomorrow, this will be the 5th failed delivery that I have had. I have been lied to constantly, and I am the only one chasing this up. Surely this isn't my job?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

How old is the Laptop? and how did you pat for it?

Like this post
NikNak70

Likes # 0

Laptop is 4 years old...bought in dixons and paid cash. Have had repairs done to it by tech guys before but never had any problems. Pay monthly by direct debit for 'no matter what happens' insurance.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Then you need to take it up with your insurance. they will probably write it off as its so old

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There are some similar threads within the forum, which might help you.

You have stated that the issue as been passed onto the 'investigation team', so it should be them that keeps you informed. There have been a number of changes recently on how PCW and especially KnowHow should be dealing with problems, so making it far easier for the customer.

If your problems continue, contact Katie Bickerstaffe at Dixon Group main headquarters, I am sure she would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I feel these extended warrenties are not worth taking out. If a product fails within 12 months you have the guarantee and the retailer is responsible to repair or replace. If the product in particular an electrical product is over £100 the Sale of Goods Act is your protection. It must be "Fit for Purpose". If it fails generally within 5 years it obviously is not fit for purpose. If the product is unrepairable you are within your right to ask for a refund, the value being on a sliding scale. At or over 5 years most electrical product are becoming obselete.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

st-clares

And what happens when the retailer doesn't take any notice of consumer law, either by ignorance or for other means?.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Spuds

You're probably stuffed unless you paid by credit card or are set for a long hard battle

But I guess you know that already!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"And what happens when the retailer doesn't take any notice of consumer law, either by ignorance or for other means?."

Consumer Law is no different from any other law in this respect - if you can get no satisfaction from the other party to the contract you are faced with the prospect of taking action through the court system. In this case that means the small claims court.

An alternative is to enlist the help of a third party - like Trading Standards. The problem with involving third parties (other than a court) is that they usually don't have any real authority; Trading Standards has no power to force a retailer to refund money, or exchange goods that are faulty. Trading Standards can offer advice on how to resolve a dispute, but that's as far as it goes when refunds or faulty goods are involved.

The Office of Fair trading offers lots of advice, but is unable to intervene or take any action on behalf of individual consumers.

There's us - we can offer advice based on over ten years experience in dealing with consumer complaints, and sometimes we can bring the power of the press (such as it is) to bear on individual retailers who consistently ignore their responsibilities. What we can't do is go into battle over every case that comes our way - not because we wouldn't dearly love to do so, but because we simply don't have the resources.

In the end, consumers must rely on their own ability to get a retailer to fulfil its obligations, and that's where we can definitely help. We'll offer unbiased opinions and helpful advice on consumer law. The rest is up to you.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

The average guy has neither the time or the money to go through the court system. Even if he wins the case, the other guy simply ignores until more money is spent to try to enforce the decision

Trading Standards are strapped for cash and generally won't do the business unless dozens of folk have been shafted. Even then, while the retailer/manufacturer may be fined, banned, sent to the pokey, it doesn't mean you will get your money back

The press, including you, can try to shame retailers in to doing right by what they promise. But it shows, time and again, that if they simply choose to ignore you, you are limited in what you have to spend, and they can always find another guy round the corner that hasn't read the forums or googled to see the repuation of the retailer/manufacturer

Look at the recent case of a maker that seemed to fail to buy enough codes from Microsoft for Windows 7 on the computers that were being sold. Why was that?

The answer, that I've spouted until blue in the face on this forum, despite many reprimands from you about going over the same things time and again, is to pay by credit card or Visa debit card

Let me reword your final advice:-

In the end, consumers should ensure they pay using a method that protects their money if the retailer/manufacturer does not do the business

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

Hi. This is my suggestion.

Go to your nearest store armed with your receipt and all the details. Speak to the manager at the KnowHow desk explaining that you have lost all faith in the repair service and that you wish to invoke the 28 day rule - this effectively means that if you are paying for "insurance cover' and your product is not repaired or returned to you in 28 days, you are entitled to a replacement machine of the "same" specifications and features of your existing laptop.

The store does have the authority to phone head office to "write off " the laptop and to get vouchers issued to the amount to buy you a new laptop.

I hope this helps

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do