We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Knowhow previously TechGuys

NikNak70

Likes # 0

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to get my laptop back? It was collected from my home address on 1st July for repairs. I was called and told that a new motherboard had been ordered and would be repaired once it had been delivered. On the 18th July, I received a text informing me that the laptop would be returned to me on Friday 22nd July. On the morning of 22nd July, I phoned enquiring what timescale the delivery would be. I was then told that I shouldn't have received a text as the laptop wasn't being returned to me yet as it hadn't been received back into the distribution centre. I was then given a new date of Sunday 24th July. I was told that I could check online after 9pm the evening before delivery to find out an estimated delivery time. I did this and the time was between 10.30 and 2.30. After this time had passed and I hadn't heard or received anything, I called and was told that there wasn't a delivery date on the system. The advisor then tried to call the distribution centre for some information but nobody picked up. The office was closing shortly after, so there was nothing I could do but wait until Monday. Before calling on Monday, I checked online and there was a delivery date for Friday 29th July. I then phoned knowhow/tech guys and said that I wasn't prepared to wait that long. I was given an earlier date of Weds 27th July. Again, I checked online the evening before and the estimated time was between 05.44 and 09.44. Checked again on Weds morning and message stated that there was a problem and for me to call them. If I hadn't checked, then I wouldn't have known to call! For once, I spoke to somebody who wanted to help me. She messaged the distribution centre and also passed on my experience to the investigation team. I had a phone call from the investigation team that evening informing me that they had been in touch with the distribution centre querying the whereabouts of my laptop. This would possibly take up to 72 hours. On Friday 29th July at just after 9am, I had a phone call from the distribution centre saying that the laptop was being returned to me on that day and that I would receive a phone call from the driver letting me know what time. After 3 hours had passed, I began to lose faith again and decided to call and confirm this. I spoke to a guy who said that on the system, it was showing up as a delivery date of Sunday 31st July but that it was possible that someone may have amended this manually on paper. He said he would call them himself and would then call me back. He called back and said that he had been told that my laptop had gone on the delivery van half an hour earlier along with other failed delivery items for customers. I was told that I would receive my laptop that day. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and I found out when I called later that evening that the very helpful guy I had spoken to, hadn't put any notes on the system! Another guy that I spoke to then tried to call the distribution centre but again, nobody picked up. He emailed them and suggested that when I phone on Saturday morning, I request that this now be escalated to a manager. I phoned this morning at 8 o clock and asked to speak to a manager but was repeatedly told that a manager wouldn't be able to do anymore than the guy I was speaking to. He phoned the delivery centre and was told that my laptop wasn't in yesterday so couldn't be returned but it is there now and would be delivered to me tomorrow Sunday 31st July. I kept asking him to refer me to a manager but he just kept speaking over me until I hung up. I tried calling a different number and spoke to a lady who told me the same as the previous guy. She said I should wait until tomorrow and then if my laptop isn't returned, call them again and then have it escalated to a manager (which is what I asked her to do). If it isn't returned tomorrow, this will be the 5th failed delivery that I have had. I have been lied to constantly, and I am the only one chasing this up. Surely this isn't my job?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think you'll find that we deal with real-life situations here, rather than issuing pointless finger-wagging reprimands to people who are where they are.

NikNak70 paid for this computer with cash four years ago, and doesn't really need a little homily from you about how it's better to pay by credit card.

I'm grateful to ajm for his special knowledge of the way that the DSG insurance system works, particularly with regard to the discretion the KnowHow manager has.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The average guy has neither the time or the money to go through the court system"

Which is exactly what these people rely on to continue to give poor service, and why other poor schmucks continue to get bad deals.

Like this post
NikNak70

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your advice...the latest is that on Saturday evening, I had a phone call from a lady at Currys Knowhow informing me that my laptop would be returned to me on Sunday and I could check online after 9pm for an estimate time. I did this and the time stated between 14.02 and 18.02. I checked again first thing on Sunday morning but the time had gone only to be replaced with a message saying "We have a query with your delivery - please call this number. I called the number and explained to the guy what had happened. He called the distribution centre who told him that the laptop was still being returned to me on that day (Sunday 31st July). The guy I was speaking to said that he would be working until about 3 o clock, and would check with the distribution team throughout the day to make sure that everything was still okay. He was going to request from them that if any probs, for them to contact me. I didn't hear or receive anything, so, at 6 o clock, I called again and requested to speak to a manager. I explained the situation to him. He spoke to the distribution centre and was told that the person who deals with this sort of thing wasn't there. I was given a complaints ref and asked to call back on Monday when there would be more resources available. After I got off the phone to him, I received a phone call from a delivery driver who said that my name and number had come up on his hand held computer, but not on any paperwork. He spoke to the depot who were then going to try and locate my laptop. I guess they're still trying...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I find this whole scenario totally shocking. I can't believe that customer service can be quite so bad and incompetant. It's not rocket science - if Amazon, Crucial and all the other top-notch internet outfits can supply, track and generally manage orders, why do we hear of so many bad experiences with others?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I have had experience regarding over the years dealing with businesses that have sold me faulty goods. If you say you have sought advice from Consumer Direct quote the relevant legislation most firms will take notice. They realise you are savvy and also have a reputation to keep even local businesses. Most recently I had problem with 2 leather sofas and chairs from a local furnishing store. The first one, there was a problem with the die coming out of some the leather. The replacement had to be a different model, the original beimg out of production. The second one had a problem where the sofa was joined together. We waited 6 months for a solution to be found to this problem but it could not be sorted out. The advice from Consumer Direct was , we had given the business long enough to correct the problem and we were within our rights to return the goods and ask for the return of our money. This was acheived with no problems.

Like this post
NikNak70

Likes # 0

After several phone calls on Monday from myself, I finally received a call from a customer services manager informing me that she had managed to get my laptop written off. Apparently, it was never returned from the repair depot. The result being that I was given a voucher code to purchase a new laptop which I did this morning. So, after weeks of chasing them up, someone finally made a decision. However, I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get an apology or an explanation as to why my laptop wasn't sent to the distribution centre. But overall, I am very pleased to be able to put it all behind me. Thanks for all your comments.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Excellent news, and thanks for the update.

Enjoy your new machine.

Like this post
silver78

Likes # 0

I don't expect the words 'Apology' & 'Explanation' are included on their Spiel sheet. I think you've let them off lightly. I would expect a freebee new extended warranty (for what it's worth) or at least a few sweetners for all the hassle (lies) you've had to put up with.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

Wonderful news!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Good news in a sense. You are very generous after being messed about by these people. I would ask for some sort of recompense on top at the very least.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...