We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ACER M1939 Desktop PC additional information wanted

Armchair
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm interested in buying a new desktop PC, and I spotted this one:-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-m1939-desktop-pc-black-10452183-pdt.html

I need more info. before deciding whether or not to go for it, though. Maybe someone on here owns one and can help?

1) What make and model PSU does it have?

2) How many RAM slots does it have, and are any of them unoccupied?

3) Which motherboard does it use (so I can find out if it has a PCIe x16 slot)?

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I have looked around on the Acer website, but this PC is not listed under their products section. I suspect that it is especially made for PC World. The only way to find answers to your questions seems to be asking for more detailed specs at PC World.

Like this post  
Armchair

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response, Kestrel. I think you're right. I think I'll have to go and ask a member of staff to open the case on one of these PCs, and let me have a look at the components it uses. Wonder if they'd do that?

Like this post
qbie

Likes # 0

Hi Armchair,

I just opened one a display model to check the specs for you.

The PSU is an FSP ATX-250PA, 250W

The Motherboard has 2 RAM slots, both of which are occupied. It appears to be an Acer specific board, the model number printed on the PCB is Acer IPISB-VR Rev 1.01. It has 3 PCI-E 1x slots, and 1 of what I assume to be a PCI-E 16x slot, although it may only be 8x. I can't find any detailed specs of this board online.

Hope this is helpful!

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Hey, thanks a lot for that, qbie! Didn't expect any more responses.

So:-

250w PSU - I had thought to buy the PC and install a half decent but not so power hungry graphics card, but a 250w unit is no good for that even though I know that FSP make quality gear.

No vacant RAM slots - No good, either. I don't want to have remove already installed RAM so I can install more.

Definitely resolved now. No sale.

Like this post
qbie

Likes # 0

I had a feeling you would say that! Probably not the best PC for upgrading.

Glad I could help!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

You may be better-off going to Novatech, starting from a bvasic bundle and specifying exactly what you need. Strikes me that the one you have looked at is pretty basic!

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

"Strikes me that the one you have looked at is pretty basic!"

It appeared to be good value, given the limited information PC World provided. That i3 2100 CPU is supposed to be a great choice for gaming on a budget (it out-games any of the AMD quad core CPUs), and I had thought to add some more cheap RAM and a £70-ish graphics card. Not to be. I'm in no hurry to buy, though. My current desktop's motherboard and CPU date from 2002.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'