We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Inconsiderate sky

Housten
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

Some people may remember I was complaining about sky, and was criticised for having the wrong attitude. Well I wish to add that today I checked our sky account and I accept that I should have checked before. What I wanted to look at was the amount of credit we were getting back, BUT we are not getting any credit but we are being charged for August!! We have already paid our new ISP for August and should have had the July line rental and charges back from sky, but no we are still being charged by them even though we have a letter from them asking us not to leave!! After the abysmal treatment handed out to us, and the pathetic apology we were given and after which the service we received got worse and worse, I honestly expected that we would get the credit without any problem. Obviously this was expecting far too much of them, but my wife – in whose name the account is in – does not like to make a fuss but has agreed that she will write to them, yet again. I do not expect anything from them now, least of all our due credit but anticipate that we will have to get our solicitor involved to get our credit. Although this will probably take 3 or 4 months to happen it will mean that we will get a reasonable sum in the end. After FE’s comment on a previous post of mine I haven’t stated what I think of sky, but I will say that whatever you think I am thinking of several things a lot worse to call them. The previous moan/rant/whinge ( which ever you may wish to call it ) in my post I think it now shows the attitude they adopted by their high-handed, couldn’t-care-less attitude has been amply demonstrated ( again ), thus showing that my attitude towards them is entirely justified. Of course I expect some will still disagree with me but then doesn’t everybody have the right to have their own opinion?

To be honest I am not sure where to post this, but I think this forum rather than the others is more appropriate. Maybe FE will disagree.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon. Well I thought I would update you!! I had written another – no doubt it would be considered a – rant about sky as it was 6 days ago that my wife had emailed the inconsiderate firm and we had heard. Well having written and checked my post, and Lo! an email from sky turned up telling us that the broadband had been cancelled but the ‘phone line was still active!!! When my wife cancelled both the line and broadband she was asked to answer a survey as to why we were leaving. This took her over 15 minutes to complete with some bloke on the ‘phone during which she made it clear why we were leaving and that it was both line and broadband. However it appears that they are so incompetent at sky that different departments not only do not talk to one anther but they do not pass information between themselves either. The email that arrived from sky was their reply to her email 6 days ago – no doubt their idea of a fast response. I wanted one thing but she thought that ‘phoning would be better! Well we rang one of sky’s ‘free’ ‘phone line numbers – this will have cost us quite a lot – and my wife spoke to them. She was passed through at least 4 different departments, spent more than 20 minutes on the ‘phone – with one bloke trying to sell her more deals!! – but eventually got some woman to agree that we were due a credit and she would email us as to the value of this. As we have not had this as yet we can not be sure of a) we are actually going to get our monies back and b) it is the correct amount. Let’s just say that we are hoping that this is the end of sky, my thoughts on whom have not changed, therefore they are still unprintable. One final point; although sky gave us the MAC code and my wife let them know we were leaving one of the people she spoke to this afternoon claimed that our new ISP should have told them! As far as I am aware – and I am going to ask them shortly – they did just that which makes the incompetence shown by sky as being absolutely monumental!!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Housten

Progress then.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

rdave13,

"You might say that I couldn't possibly comment" to quote a rather well known phrase or saying!

The woman my wife was speaking to last on Saturday stated that she agreed to send an email detailing how much our credit - and how it was calculated - was for. As usual not a thing, silence, deafening silence. To be honest my wife is happy as she thinks the credit will be with us very shortly. I think we will have to go to court, but if - I would rather say when but I do not trust them in any way, shape or form - we do get some sort of result from sky I will update this forum. But please do not hold your breath, because I can it being Christmas before we get a settlement of this. Yes you can call me cynical but after the way sky have shafted us over this anything is possible!! Just when we think it can't get any worse it does, so at least they are consistent!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning, Just to bring you up to date. After my last post I was hoping that we would hear something on Tuesday or Wednesday ( 2nd or 3rd of August ). But what we had was the usual deafening silence, and I was seething with anger. The FE in an earlier post said it was annoying but just a glitch, I didn’t want to start an argument but I didn’t see that the way we had been treated could be a glitch! Anyway I decided to write ( without telling my wife ) an email to Jeremy Darroch, CEO of sky, and include as many as possible of the items I considered to be appalling in the way they had treated us. So I thought I could get it on one sheet of A4, if I used as much as possible and so I cut the margins all round to 0.5 cm and started writing, it eventually stretched to about 2.5 pages. I had resolved to wait until Monday just gone ( 8th August ) before sending it, so that there could be no complaint that I hadn’t given them enough time. After writing the email I altered/amended/adapted/increased/decreased it every day until I sent it on Monday morning. I anticipated that we would get an acknowledgement but very little – if anything - else, but after we had had dinner and had just started the dishes when the ‘phone went and it turned out to be someone calling from Jeremy Darroch’s office. There was some aggression on my part initially as I thought we were in for another ‘phone call of the type that we had had before. How wrong was I! The gentleman calling said he had gone through our account and understood we were annoyed, especially as sky’s own rules state that if you have the base broadband package and go over the limit for two consecutive months you get a warning email and it is only after the third month when you get charged; we had gone straight to month 3 when we were charged. I didn’t want to start an argument with him, but we will never know why ALL the other staff members didn’t realise this and act accordingly thus saving all/most of the emails/letters/’phone calls we have had over the last 4 months or so. Anyway to cut a ( very ) long email /post down we agreed the credit ( almost ) I thought we were due and as far as I was concerned that was that. My wife could see from my reactions that we had agreed some deal and so she was very happy as well – especially as it would stop all the hassle we were having. He had not finished, however, and made an offer which I accepted and for which my wife and I were grateful, he also said he wished I had written sooner so that we hadn’t left things festering away. As my wife said when we were discussing it afterwards we had written many times but their incompetent staff had not taken notice of or considered why/what we were writing so what should we have done? To which there is only one answer and it is one that I think is worth noting by everyone: if you write ( say ) 3, 4 or 5 times without getting a satisfactory reply then write to the CEO/Managing Director of the company concerned, at least it would appear you will then get any complaint you have looked at by someone who can/will/may do something about it. All I will say is best of luck to everyone so doing!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

That's an interesting insight into how someone using a bit of diplomacy can defuse a situation in the course of a single phone call.

By your own admission " There was some aggression on my part initially", but by the end of the call this person had "made an offer which I accepted and for which my wife and I were grateful".

It just goes to show what can be achieved by someone who has been trained to mollify angry customers.

Thanks you for the update - I'm pleased that perseverance paid off, and that you got some satisfaction in the end.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features