We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Direct Tuning Freeview Recorder

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to record a fringe Freeview transmitter. I used to be able to get it OK with my existing recorder, but since the changeover the more local transmitter swamps the signal from the distant one.

I can still get the signal by direct tuning (Channel 53) on the tv, so I know it's there, but the recorder doesn't have the direct tuning facility.

Any suggestions?

Nothing too fancy, no blu-ray or anything like that, just want to record a local news bulletin every evening.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Freeview channel 53 is the HD channel for S4C; called S4C Clirlun.

At a guess, your TV is equipped to receive HD broadcasts, but your recorder is not.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Channel 53 is used by 89 digital transmitters spread across the UK. Many are local relays but at least one (Pontop Pike) is a main transmitter. You can see a map of post DSO here http://www.ukfree.tv/mapsofsignal.php?c=53&a=1

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you checked the Recorder Setup page as most let you tune manual channels

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses.

The Tx I am trying to pull in is the Angus one, and it's being swamped by Durris.

woodchip

Tried all combinations, but my recorder (a Digifusion 95, long since discontinued - haven't even been able to update the software for about two years or more) - simply doesn't have anything other that "Autotune - Replace" and "Autotune - Add".

A new one is definitely on the cards, just how confident are you that "most" of them have direct tuning? :-)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mine as it, a Dawoo Hard Disc Recorder with Freeview

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Think its about four years old may be older

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Your forum name of morddwyd led me to think you may be Welsh, or in Wales. Hence my reply above.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

anchor

I am Welsh, but an ex-pat living with the other Celtic branch, north of Hadrian's Wall.

Latest - I downloaded some manuals and had a look through and as a result I have ordered a Humax PVR-9150T.

I will update success or otherwise when installed.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Final update.

The Humax does the job and I can now get some local news again.

Wouldn't generally recommend the Humax though.

Very poor manual, and a clunky interface.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK