We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Contract with Supplier / Builder

Cara2

Likes # 0

I choose a door - the builder ordered and paid it, but did not make a profit.

As I understand it, the builder is responsible to me as the door has become faulty. However, I am reluctant to persue the builder as the choice of the door was entirely mine and he simply paid but did not make a profit from the purchase.

I am now between a rock and a hard place as the supplier has basically fobbed me off with the manufacturers details (who have gone to the wall and rised again under a new company name). I know for sure in any case, that my contract is not with the manufacturer.

Is there anyway around this problem as I cannot bring myself to persue the builder over something which he is only involved in on a technicality?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I think you will find that the builder has no responsibility towards the door being faulty, as you said you chose the door and he merely fitted it.

Unless you can prove that the fault was caused by incorrect fitting your claim is against the supplier, and if it is less than 12 months old he will have to remedy the fault, any thing over this time and you still have a claim under the sale of goods act.

Just what is the fault and how much was the door.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As the Manufacturer has gone into liquidation, you become just another Creditor.

Forget it, after a 4 year wait, you may get 2p in the £1, if you're lucky.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

It may be that the supopolier is liable to the builder for supplying HIM with faulty goods. It may be that you and the builder can mount a joint action against the supplier!

Have a word with CAB

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Speak nicely to the builder to explain your problem, the door may have had a suppliers insurance backed warranty for more than 1 year, if he paid for it from his business account he may be able to claim on the suppliers insurance.

But I don't hold out much hope!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Contract law is quite clear on this and has changed little over the years. Your contract is with the builder assuming that you paid him and he carried out the work. In turn, he has a contract with the supplier and has a counter claim against them.

Whether you wish to claim against the builder is up to you but you have no LEGAL recourse against the suppler.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

QuizMan is right.

Your contract was with the builder who supplied the door. The fact that he made no profit on the deal is neither here nor there as far as contract law is concerned - technically he is liable to you for the faulty door. I can understand your reluctance to make an issue of it with him, but legally he's the liable party in this.

You have two choices - either you ask the builder to sort the problem out, or you bear the loss. There's a slim chance that the manufacturer will replace the door as a gesture of goodwill, but it is under no obligation to do so - you have no contract with that company.

Perhaps the builder can take the matter up with the supplier he bought the door from? His contract was with them, and they are liable to him in the same way that he's liable to you.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Thanks for all replies. Trading Standards conveyed much the same information. Not what I wanted to hear! I am not about to persue the builder under the circumstances.

I did consider tackling the supplier on behalf of the builder, with his permission but have been advised that his rights as a trader are different to mine as the consumer.

In answer to a question made earlier - the door in question was over £800 - a composite door, the outer layer of which has split in places. It was bought 3-4 years ago (don't have the invoice to hand), but is guaranteed for 10 years and the supplier himself commented (in a rather unguarded moment), that he would never expect to have to replace his similar door.

I am not a very happy bunny!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Who Ever as the receipt is in a position to claim from the supplier he bought the door from, as its not fit for purpose under 75 act consumer law. so if your builder as it then its responsibility to get it sorted, with them who he bought the door from. Though you do not want to be any agro to your builder, he is in the position and as the responsibility to put things right

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps of no help, but I had four wooden exterior doors (5 year warranty) and one upvc double glazed door (10 year warranty) that gave problems, and all were covered under guarantee by the two different manufacturer's. Both manufacturer's went bust. In both cases the doors gave problems after 3/4 years of being installed. The wooden doors began to stretch and joints worked loose, so causing leakages. The upvc door locking system failed.

Went back to the suppliers and see what they could offer, B&Q for the upvc, who didn't really want to know, mainly because we had lost the original receipt. The wooden doors which were purchased from Focus were a different matter. They told us to get someone in to repair the doors and they would pay the bill, which they did without further question.

We repaired the upvc doors ourselves by obtaining the locking gearbox (£20)via a discount locksmith warehouse.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad