We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

satelite dish & freeview box

shwinglow

Likes # 0

I recently asked ?s about satelite TV & got good answers thank you for those who answered me - could anyone tell me I have a good quality Hitachi 'freeview' box with HD, but my roof ariel keeps freezing my digital channels, if I fit an outside satelite dish & connect it to my Digi Box what channels will I be able to receive

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

None

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

As tullie has stated None.

A Freeview box will only work with an aerial it will not work via the Sat dish. If you're having problems with channel freezing the problem could be the aerial or the cable from the aerial especially if it is old.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Sat dish is for Freesat not freeview

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

As BRYNIT has said it may be the aerial or cable.

If the deterioration is recent it might be worthwhile having a local aerial firm check it out for you. Old Co-ax, poor or weather damaged junctions as well as the Aerial itself which might pre-date the digital switchover or even become simply mis-aligned.

All these things can weaken the signal, and where in analogue days the picture 'snowed' or broke up, a digital signal will freeze, become 'pixellated' or simply cut out altogether, usually with a brief announcment - Bad signal

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

You could try something like this.

It's an inexpensive solution (compared with a new aerial) which if it doesn't work you may be able to get a refund.

Note that Asda do something that looks exactly like the Philex range but cheaper.

Also, you can get up to 6 outputs on this model (see the circular blanking plugs).

Other brands are available. I had a bad do with a Philex (I think it got plugged in wrong and shorted out) and I currently have some other brand (from Argos) which has lasted 4 or 5 years so far.

We got an upgraded aerial at the same time in the early days of DTV which appeared to deteriorate after 12 months so bought a booster at the suggestion of the aerial fitter. Hardly any problems since.

As previously stated, dishes are for Sky and Freesat, plus some other proprietary systems available in places like B&Q. Freeview only works off an aerial.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia