We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

buying spectacles on the internet

joe95

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I am due some new specs. and thought of trying the internet,anyone had any dealings online, looking for varifocals. Looking at the sites some seem to give you more for your money. I am not trying to scrimp just trying to get a btter deal. Thanks.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Go to an opticians for an eye test and ask for a prescription and then shop around. Difficult to buy 'off the shelf'.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I got a free eye test at tescos opticians and i brought two pairs of specs £10 each.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Quality gear then!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

(Quality gear then]

As long as they work I suppose.

I would rather loose a cheap pair of spectacles than an expensive pair and as the glass is filled to the prescription spec you will still be able to see the same whether cheap or expensive.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

A friend recently used these to buy on line, he is very pleased with his new specs and they certanly look good. http://www.spex4u.com/index.html

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I've used Glasses Direct for some time and they are good value with good service. I will not include a link as I see there is one below the last thread (on my PC anyway). It is easy with single vision glasses but less so with varifocals, but they have good telephone support.

As stated by wiz-king, you need to get a prescription from a local opticians first for which you may need to pay depending on age or (lack of) medical reasons.

Like this post
jaraba

Likes # 0

If you want varivocals it is more involved. Your eyes have to be measured to insure that the vari part is correct.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

jaraba is right. It is something about needing the pupilliary distance. Opticians should put it on the prescription, but they rarely do. It's their way of of getting to buy in-house.

In my case it was easily resolved by sending an old pair of specs, free of charge, to Glasses Direct and they worked it out from there. If you do not need varifocals, you need not worry about this aspect.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I have used Glasses Direct and Select Specs, both good providing your prescription is correct in every detail. Some chain opticians seem to "accidently forget" certain details.

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

I just use +1 reading glasses occasionally and got a couple of pairs for £3.50 each off Amazon.

Nothing wrong with them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made