We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TOMTOM are a joke

Newuser2

Likes # 0

I've just got a new TomTom sat nav, if and its a BIG if, you can get the latest updates to download and install, you'll need a wired connection to your Computer. WiFi just doesn't work. According to TomTom I have a update for maps, does it download, no way. Trying to call TomTom and speak to someone thats a complete waste of time and effort. If I had known how bad the service was I would have got a different make. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting a new device.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Have a tom tom one never had a problem downloading updates,have tyou set up an account that may help.Just connect your the usb cable to your pc that came with the satnav and you should be able download.calm down you've lost the argument by doing what you did,now pick up your rattle and calmy try again.don't besmerch a company just on your experiance.

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Mole44 Don't go lecturing me, I've had an account, had one for years. Do you think I connected up with a piece of string. I'm not the only one who is having probs. One guy I spoke to at TT told me they were having lots of complaints. If they don't know it broke they sure as hell wont be able to fix it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It might help if you told us which model of TomTom.

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

TomTom issued a profit warning recently.

Sales are suffering maybe because of some major cutbacks in unit features that is being widely published:

1) Only allowing it's own (out of date) safety cameras to be installed. 2) Restricting traffic data to about 50 miles of your current location. This means that if you are about to set off on say a 100 mile journey you will only be warned about major traffic problems when you're 50 miles away. If you had received traffic information for your whole journey you may have opted for a totally different route.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Had a constant battle with TomTom. Inaccurate Maps, Inaccurate Speed Limit Notifications, pitifully slow Connection Speed for Updates.

Bought a Garmin. Not a lot better!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

So what's wrong with a Wired Connection, Its always worked for me just plugging the Tom Tom USB cable into Laptop. I disabled the Software so I have to start that before it will connect

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Sorry for taking so long to reply I finally got thru to talk to someone at TT and they admitted they are having awful probs at the mo. The map upgrade it keeps telling me to download is already installed. Can only hope they get things fixed.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

WiFi worked for me for TomTom Updates may be you pc is too old or too new

Like this post
coolcars26

Likes # 0

hey

i just received a tomtom go 1005 i purchased from mynewgps.co.uk is it possible anyone knows how i can add custom maps to the tomtom go 1005

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes