We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Batteries - Which?

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Looks like the car battery is on the blink -it is of unknown vintage - the car being 6/7 years old- it may be original who knows.

Anyway looking through the usual places to obtain a replacement I noticed that here are other types in addition to the conventional lead acid variety For Example - BOSH do a 'Silver' - is that the brand or actually silver?

Halfords offer Calcium maintenance free Any knowledgeable person among us who can advise?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

The Bosch battery does indeed use silver in its construction (Bosch website)

But a quick google search on the price resulted in a definitive gasp! £100+ for a battery?????? Ok, maybe if it's a seriously high capacity unit, but for the vast majority of cars a much, much cheaper unit will do just fine. I'd take your existing battery to a local motorfactor, ask them to test it (making sure it's not the alternator at fault) then get a direct replacement.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

7 years out of a battery is good going.

Pop to halfords, they have a book that lists most car makes & models, along with suitable own brand & branded batteries.

If your car is petrol, and just a small run-about then don't spend much, but do as OTT_B says and get the alternator checked out.

If you have a diesel then you'll need a beefier battery. My new car has Stop-Start technology, and it looks like my battery could power a train, not looking forward to replacing it...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Halfords was a bit more expensive than most others that I tried a few years back.Shop around till you find the battery that you want at the cheapest price.

Some can be fairly expensive nowadays because of the metal contents.

I think you get a 3 year warrant with most.

Like this post  
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Since I've been able to afford Halfords Calcium batteries, I have never used anything else.

Yes, they are slightly more expensive but they have a 4 year warranty and Halfords staff don't really give a toss - so if it's slightly faulty and within warranty (some code on the battery casing) they'll replace it without argument or question. They will even accept verbal evidence such as "I came to the car yesterday morning and the battery was dead and nothing was switched on and I did check".

I've bought plenty of batteries in the past - the worst ones are from Motor Factors or small garages with a non-descript brand name and the words "Super Heavy Duty" printed on them. PLEASE AVOID these at all costs.

One of the best ones I had was a blue coloured Varta with two handles. That must have lasted 10 years or more. I know that's no kind of record so nobody please get anal with me about batteries fitted in 1942 etc.

I've still got a "Halfords Lifetime Warranty" on a shelf in the garage but seeing as the car is gone I probably won't claim.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia