We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freesat lack of programmes.

Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Why do I get less programmes on Freesat than I would on Freeview. There is a reason why I cannot use an aerial. I would love to watch Dave, Yesterday and another one that escapes me at the moment.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

This is what is happening, I didn't want to go into details because I may be infringing site rules by suggesting something "illegal". I am 64 years old and so having paid TV licences for 46 years I've helped to pay for the programmes on Dave etc. In England I have FreeView and watch Dave etc and obviously I'm still paying TV tax, because that's what it is.

However, for a large part of the year I'm in France and watch UK programmes via satellite. That is the illegal bit, but I cannot see Dave via Freesat and I'm buggered if I'm paying Sky to watch stuff I've already helped to finance.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Bald Eagle

I fully understand where you're coming from

Most (all?) of the stuff on Dave and Yesterday is covered by copyright agreements.

Until fairly recently the BBC encrypted all its channels on the Astra satellite so that viewers outside the UK could not watch.

Unless they had a sky subscription. Sky was enforcing the copyright by ensuring that those who bought a sky box and card had to have a UK address

But we all know that many expats living in France and Spain have sky boxes via a uk address

BBC eventually ditched the encryption on Astra so that most folk in Europe can watch BBC channels. But for whatever reason (Copyright, income?) they have decided that the two channels you mention will not be available on the freesat epg but will remain encrypted so that they can be sold on the Sky epg

So, as you have realised, you can watch them for free on Freeview within the UK but if you want to view them in Europe you have to pay via a sky subscription

I agree entirely with your view about paying again to watch something you financed originally. It's not limited to Europe however. Here, in NE England if I want to listen to a radio commentary on a Newcastle United home match on my local radio station (I know I'm totally sad) I am outside the transmission area and can only do so by paying to listen to that commentary via a Newcastle United web site at a cost of about £2 per match. Even though I pay for the commentary through my BBC fee

It goes far beyond that. The BBC, if you remember, funding the building of virtually the whole of the UK ground based tv transmitters paid for by you and me. Some years ago these were sold off in a sale and leaseback deal for, if I remember rightly about £250m. That was our money. Similar things have happened with the TV bandwidth spectrum in the UK, and are about to happen again

You have my sympathy

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bald Eagle

I really don't know how the technology works, because I've never needed it so have not looked into it, but have you investigated the Slingbox products?

Company website

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Bald Eagle You are doing anything illegal using the Sat system you are using from France, its only in England you pay

You will not get Dave on Sky freesat.

But I did think it was on the Humax Freesat System if you try tuning it in.

Its a wast of time trying to explain that there is two kinds of Freesat

All I can say is just type Freesat into google and you will have the choice of looking a Freesat or Sky Freesat not the same

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

strong textIts a wast of time trying to explain that there is two kinds of Freesat

All I can say is just type Freesat into google and you will have the choice of looking a Freesat or Sky Freesat not the same emphasized text

That is a rather condescending answer! I put Freesat because it is Freesat I have, nothing to do with Sky Freesat.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

961 Sorry but you are wrong about Sky Freesat and standard Freesat having the same channel selection. Sky Freesat has many more TV Channels. If you want to see the difference then look at This for Standard and This for Sky. Sky claim 100 more channels and they may well be right, I started a paper comparison and it was certainly a long list before I gave up. For a start Sky has 15 channels for religion whereas the standard one only has 5 - for a full comparison you will need to download the Freesat pdf. Personally I can't see that the extra channels available on Sky Freesat are worth me throwing over my Humax box for, but Freeview HD appeals on two grounds - 1. I can get back some of the channels that I lost when I moved from Freeview to Freesat and 2. I can get rid of the satellite dish that is a pain in the backside whenever it rains and | lose signal.

Like this post

Likes # 0

chub-tor

Yep, I agree, the sky freesat epg has a lot of padding that the freesat doesn't.It may well be the choice if you are looking for a complete new guaranteed install with a good box.

I also accept that many without a dish will find freeview from their aerial does the business, and can well do it cheaper. Much cheaper if you don't need an aerial upgrade and are happy with an inexpensive freeview box. You'll also do without having to buy a new card from sky at £25 every 5 years or so when they issue new cards

But the purpose of the thread started by the op was that he's in France. Anywhere but the extreme north he won't get freeview and does not want to pay sky

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

The basic difference between Freesat and Freesat from Sky is Freesat allows access to all FTA (Free To Air) broadcasts on satellites positioned at 28/28.5 degs via the Freesat EPG. Freesat from Sky allows in addition the receipt of FTV (Free To View) channels which are encrypted but free - these are received via the Sky EPG and you need a Freesat from Sky card costing around £25 inserted in a Sky receiver. These cards last for many years.

A further alternative is to use a satellite receiver/PVR that is neither Freesat nor Freesat from Sky which will allow you to manually tune the channels. This is a cheaper route that the Freesat method as the equipment can be bought cheaper. However it won't allow access to FTV programmes.

The programmes the OP is missing are straight forward Pay TV and you will need to pay for them. The BBC sells it's output to 3rd party broadcasters for considerable sums and they then recover this cost by offer them via Pay TV. If anyone is to balme it's the BBC for selling the programmes we have already paid them to make.

The OP isn't breaking any laws by watching BBC/ITV in France. However the BBC/ITV are, in some instances, breaking their agreement with suppliers of content by allowing the content to be viewed extensively outside UK borders. A new satellite is about to be launched (Astra 1N) that will have a much tighter beam than Astra 2D and the likely outcome is some channels will become more difficult to receive outside the UK. However no details are yet available.

Like this post

Likes # 0

dms_05

A good summary

Regarding the last paragraph it's probably correct to say that Bskyb also do little to ensure that output designed solely for the UK remains within the borders

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

In truth BSkyB do all they can to make content only available in the UK. First they only issue contracts to UK households and they clearly state the use of their equipment and card (which always remains Sky property) is prohibited outside the UK. They then use the most sophisticated encrytption which is only available if you have a UK contract that specifies the equipment is only used in the UK. So anyone using Sky abroad is in breach of contract. However people (in large numbers) simply ignore this and take equipment abroad. In contast the UK FTA (ie BBC/ITV etc) simply broadcast content 'in the clear' and this can be received wherever you have a large enough dish. For example BBC1 etc is receivable across much of the South and West of the EU (Portugal and Greece for example).

So while Sky make a real effort to restrict viewing outside of the UK the FTA broadcaster make no effort at all. I for one object to paying the BBC Tax when many expats get the same programmes for free. What is even more annoying is the freely available Internet connections that allow these same people to access the BBC iPlayer and get the best of UK TV for free whilst the BBC sells the same programmes to 3rd party people who rebroadcast it and expect us BBC Tax payers to pay again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...