We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shopping Discounts and Rewards - scam?

FEEBS

Likes # 0

After ordering some clothes on line from a catalogue I was directed to this Shopper Discount and Rewards site which informed you that if you signed up with them you would get 15% back from whatever you spent in various outlets. I signed up and had to give my card number. (no problem as I thought I would be paying for goods through them. A couple of e-mails then arrived reminding me that I hadn't bought anything. When I looked at my bank statement they had taken £10 from my account so I checked through the e-mails and found in the (very) small print that to get this discount I had signed up for a subscription of £10 a month. This wasn't on the page where you signed up and I'm sure I would have spotted it had it been - and there was a free trial period of 30 days apparently safter which they would take £10 a month. Looking at the e-mails that were sent the terms regarding subscription appear in very small print at the bottom - I missed them too. I phoned their freephone and through their automated system cancelled the subscription, on listening to their recorded message again I found I could get a refund which I opted for, if I then listened to that message again I found I could talk to a human. In my opinion this constitutes a scam, the lack of clarity regarding a subscription, the ease with which you can cancel and if you don't listen to the recorded messages again you don't know about the opportunity to reclaim your subscription. How many people would go to that trouble - they'd probably think sod it I've lost my money. Finally, why would anyone with more then half a brain spend £75 a month on goods just to get their £10 subscription back? I got my refund but how many haven't bothered?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Scan with this in future, EULAlyzer, it may pick up that kind of thing.

I've only used on Software Sites so don't know about other types of Site.

Like this post
FEEBS

Likes # 0

Thank you Wee Eddie I'll do that, it was connected by a reputable catalogue site so it just shows you how careful you have to be. It is actually part of a company called Webloyalty International in Sevenoaks Kent.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

wee eddie - I've just looked at EULAlyzer and it looks like a good product. However, before you can install it you have to agree to their licence agreement which is in the format that their site mentions people don’t read or only skim through. How ironic is that?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...