We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To extend the warranty or not?

Spock999

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have just ordered a new computer from Yoyotech. Their basic warranty is 12 months Parts & labour rtb and I can't decide whether it is worth extending it (2yrs for £95 or 3 yrs for £153).

I don't usually extend but computers are a bit different. I am reasonably OK with computers but not a techie by any means. Any views or advice?

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Laptop or Desktop computer and how much are you paying for it?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

It depends how computer savvy you are. The Sale of Goods Act states that goods must be fit for purpose. Any electrical item over £100.00 is considered should have a life of at least 5 years. The retailer should repair after 12 months and if uneconomical offer a sliding scaled refund on the purchase price. If any one has guarantee/warrenty problems I advise phoning Consumer Direct who will advise you of your rights etc.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Desktop £1400

Like this post

Likes # 0

Quite honestly computers either work or they don't

If it works out of the box and for the next couple of months it will work till you are sick of it, give it to your kids, whatever

If it doesn't, within the year, the warranty will cover it

That is the hardware

But the chances are it will be fine. Hardware makers can't afford stuff to go wrong. It costs to replace. It WILL do the business. Don't insure beyond the year's free warranty

What might go wrong is you messing up the software. You'll download stuff. Tweak your settings. Urghhhh!

But you'll find that sort of mess isn't covered by the warranty anyway

12 months free will do the business

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Make Restore disks on first boot up. Also either buy or D/L some free disk backup software and make regular backups of system and program files at least on a monthly basis to an external H/D. I keep all my data, video, music and email Store Folder on my external H/D in case I mess the system up or the system invokes sods law.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Hardware is my problem. I don't understand it and am not too good with it.

I am OK with software and have a good backup regime. I can recommend a program called folderclone which can be set up to clone folders (disks) to external harddrives. I use this in addition to the free paragon backup program. This is what enabled me to carry on with my laptop after my PC failed on Saturday.

All of this is OK - it reduces the impact - though but I am still having to spend money to replace the system. In this instance it is not a surprise as the system was fairly old.

The question is how much of a gamble is it that the hardware won't fail after the 12th month and before the 36th. I think there is no question that the 12 months will allow teething troubles to be sorted out. If nothing goes wrong afterwards then its a waste of money but it doesn't take too much of a problem to build up a bill of £150 these days.

From what I have read, Yoyotech build good machines but there are always a small percentage that go wrong even wt the best manufacturers.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Spock999

What kind of a system are you buying for £1400?

I've recently bought a PC that will do pretty much everything except play the very latest games, with a 23" full HD monitor for less than £500

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Something to consider if the warranty is actually direct with Yoyotech and not a thrid party provider.

However good the manufacturer these are hard times and there must be a chance that Yoyotech could go to the wall within the warranty period - just look at Mesh.

£1400 is a lot for a PC these days so it must have high spec components that would not be cheap to replace.

Persoanlly for a machine of that value I would have the 3 year warranty provided it was from a thrid party insurer.

Like this post

Likes # 0

"how much of a gamble is it that the hardware will fail between 12 and 36 months?"

How about 10/1 that if it survives 12 months it will still be going strong at 36

Ask Forum Editor what odds he will offer

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Yes it is a high spec m/c. My next to last computer failed because it was overheating and I half suspect that this was an issue with the one that went on Saturday.

I have therefore specced a much better cooling system (box, fans & heatsink) to try to avoid a repetition. It is basically a photoediting m/c with enough storage for my photos and fast enough to process them quickly. My defunct duo core m/c was a bit slow and I am trying to get ahead of the game. I have probably overegged it a bit (as I tend to do) but hopefully that means it will have a longer useful life. I have also allowed for expansion and the likelihood that I will want a dual monitor setup in future (the cost of the second monitor is the restricting factor).

Without being funny about it, a £500 m/c would just not be man enough for serious photoediting. My Eizo monitor cost more than that and I am not replacing that. Photoshop can be quite processor hungry at times.

The point about 3rd party vs Yoyotech direct warranty is a very good one and I will make enquiries.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED