We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To extend the warranty or not?

Spock999

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have just ordered a new computer from Yoyotech. Their basic warranty is 12 months Parts & labour rtb and I can't decide whether it is worth extending it (2yrs for £95 or 3 yrs for £153).

I don't usually extend but computers are a bit different. I am reasonably OK with computers but not a techie by any means. Any views or advice?

Thanks.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

The other thing that is influencing me is that the new computer involves a change from XP to Windows 7 and that is likely to involve some issues with the current versions of my software - particularly Photoshop CS2.

So I haven't yet finished spending money and have to think a bit about what is necessary.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

My Daughter took out a 3 year warranty with her daughters laptop and what you have got to watch is it is only covered for accidental damage for 1 year.

Make sure you look at the small print to check if you are thinking of purchasing.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Yoyotech advise me that the warranties are direct with them. That makes me think a bit!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Depends on you but on first principles I won't do it.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Actually, hardware probs are easier to sort out than software ones. Usually it's just a case of changing parts.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Warranty will rarely (never) cover Software Problems and will sometimes try to blame Hardware Problems onto Software.

As has been said before. If Hardware survives the first year, then it will likely go on until it is so out of date that you will have been considering replacing it anyway. You would certainly not want, a replacement of the same specification, which is what a warranty will offer and not a new one either.

Save your money.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help. I will not be extending the warranty given that it is provided direct by Yoyotech.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Not forgetting that the Extended Warranty includes the first twelve months. so you are paying again for the first 12 months

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS how this works,

First twelve months is by the place you bought the PC. Extended Warranty is not by these its done using a different Repairer, MasterCare used to be one of these that covered electrical goods. So as you see the second is giving you two years, but its covered by the place you bought it from for first twelve months anyway

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I'm running PS CS2 on Win7 64-bit Pro with no problems, so don't worry.

As for the extended warranty, frankly, I wouldn't bother!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback