We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Credit Card details

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

During the last week I went to a very well known London restaurant three times. Each time I used a credit card and the last time I went the hand held machine ran out of paper just after it had printed the 'Merchants' copy and before it could print the customers copy. I was given the Merchants copy and told they would print themselves another copy for their records. No problem so far.

When I got home I noticed that both of the first two customer copies of CC bills from that restaurant had just the last four numbers of my CC on it BUT the Merchants copy had the full number. Given that the receipt always has the expiry date on it all that is necessary is for the waiter to appear to drop your card and then spot the security number on the back as he picks it up and he is well away!

Why on earth should the merchant need your full CC number on printed paper when the whole transaction is authorised and actioned electronically?

Like this post

Likes # 0

But Amex beats them all for points if you are in to buying from Argos or Homebase

However, my understanding is that Visa still does the business if you use debit cards and your seller goes urgghhh...!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Years ago when in the USA I was always amazed that my relatives demanded all the carbon papers from the card slips everytime they used their cards. I never remember seeing anyone in the UK doing this. Perhaps we were a lot more trustful in those days.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Initial response from my credit card company:-

*'I’ve passed your message on to our Fraud department and they’ll contact you as soon as possible. I'm sorry that I can't give you an immediate answer.'*

I await their Fraud Departments response which I will post.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Likewise...

Still waiting for a response from the VISA Press Office.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Is it necesary for credit card and bank statements to have the full account/card number on them. The last 4 numbers are all that is necessary for the account holder to know if they have received the correct statement they should also be able to determine the validity of what is showing on the statement.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

From experience of working the other side of a shop counter I can tell you that in the mid-90's we started to blank out the middle 8 digit's on both the customer & merchant copies of receipts. This seemed to be common with most retailers around that time.

Then to save paper we totally did away with the merchant copy around 2002, because all the sale details were held on the central server for 2 years, so we could just call up the sale on the system if there was a charge-back or customer contact regarding the sale, again this system only showed the first and last quartet of numbers on any printouts, although all numbers were on screen so we could check details.

Where I work now we have a similar system in place, but we rarely take card payments because almost all sales are on account.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I suspect the 'difficult light' is flashing at Mastercard and Visa;-)

I've had no response and neither, it appears, has the FE.

Nearly a week has passed now so I'll call it a day and resolve this post.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I did receive an email saying that the 'appropriate team' was investigating, but I've heard nothing since. I imagine that I will get a response, but I'm not holding my breath.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have now received a response from VISA Europe, and here it is in its entirety:

"Thank you for bringing this question to our attention and giving us the opportunity to comment. Merchants are required to provide receipts to cardholders upon purchase. The merchant's acquiring bank may decide to allow the merchant's receipt copy to contain the full card number, and this is because the merchant's receipt copy is sometimes referenced in purchase disputes. Fraud being committed in the manner your reader suggests is very rare, however in the unlikely event of it occurring, cardholders should not be held liable for any fraudulent purchases. This question highlights why regularly checking bank statements is important, and of course anyone who suspects their card has been used inappropriately should immediately contact their issuing bank. Thanks to security innovations such as chip and PIN and Verified by Visa card fraud is at it's lowest ever levels since 2000."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015