We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

British Gas / Electricity Monitor

Cara2

Likes # 0

Does anyone have the above as advertised on the TV?

I do and thought mine was faulty as it does not hold its charge. Basically I charge it up for hours on end and then disconnect from the mains. After 2 or 3 hours its looses its charge, along with all the information I have programmed in.

I am now told this is normal - it is meant to be plugged in at all times apart from the odd time necessary to take it into another room etc.

Is it just me or does that seem silly that it has to be plugged in all the time using electricity? (I am told it uses only a small amount of electricity to be fair). Doesn't it defeat the object of saving electricity by having it plugged in constantly? It looks very portable, but really it isn't.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

How can it monitor if its not plugged in?

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

A circular ring (best description) is clipped around 2 main wires leading out from main box. I am told it detects the amps.

The Monitor then picks up the signal wirelessly.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Oh and the Monitor can be plugged in anywhere, not necessarily in the room with the circular clip.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Fairly useless piece of kit. As it assumes Voltage and does not actually Measure it.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I am not personally familiar with this piece of kit, but from Cara2s description it appears to detect the current flow in the the live feed to your consumer unit/fuse box using magnetic induction. As there is no means to detect the mains voltage it will assume a standard 230 volt supply. The supply voltage will vary during periods of high usage both within your premises and also due to external distribution losses, but should not exceed + or - 2.5%. The unit will use the formula Voltage X Current x Time in hours to give kilo watt hours i.e. units of electricity. If the unit has to be plugged in to work it may use the houshold wiring to transmit the data to the room unit. The British Gas advert appears to indicate the gas supply is monitored is this so, if so, if so how?.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Correction The formula shoud be divided by 1000 to give KWHours.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Most modern domestic Gas Meters now have a pulsed output. All you need to do is attach a pulse block to the meter and then in-turn connect that to a wireless device.

Pulse block for Sensus U6 Gas Meter

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I did get a similar device provided by EON.

Switched it off when we went on holiday and have never bothered switching it back on since. The associated software was flakey, the clock lost several minutes every week and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know regarding consumption.

As well as assuming the voltage, the device is only accurate for appliances with a power factor of 1 which probably excludes electric motors, TVs, some CFL lamps etc. but does give a reasonable estimation.

You wouldn't be able to tell your provider that their meter was inaccurate on the strength of this device though!

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Power Factor is only considered on Three Phase Supplies as you don't get any current lag on single phase supplies.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

The Monitor does not monitor Gas usage.

I actually found it a good 'eye opener' on my use of electricity, even though it may not be highly accurate. It has made me far more aware of turning things off when not in use.

It was just the fact that it had to be plugged in surprised me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback