We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

British Gas / Electricity Monitor

Cara2

Likes # 0

Does anyone have the above as advertised on the TV?

I do and thought mine was faulty as it does not hold its charge. Basically I charge it up for hours on end and then disconnect from the mains. After 2 or 3 hours its looses its charge, along with all the information I have programmed in.

I am now told this is normal - it is meant to be plugged in at all times apart from the odd time necessary to take it into another room etc.

Is it just me or does that seem silly that it has to be plugged in all the time using electricity? (I am told it uses only a small amount of electricity to be fair). Doesn't it defeat the object of saving electricity by having it plugged in constantly? It looks very portable, but really it isn't.

Like this post
wherty

Likes # 0

Power Factor is only considered on Three Phase Supplies as you don't get any current lag on single phase supplies.

This is untrue. Simply put "single phase power factor" into Google for a number of interesting explanations.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Sorry I thought we where talking about Domestic Installations. The words not considered come into place on Single Phase as we would we all have PF Correcetion Gear sitting at the Mains intake into our houses.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Power factor correction is now part of the design criteria with many power supplies used in TVs and PCs.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Power factor correction is now part of the design criteria with many power supplies used in TVs and PCs.

Bang On.

Like this post
wherty

Likes # 0

I think I undestand what you mean - It was just that the statement "you don't get any current lag on single phase supplies" drew my attention.When you have resitive, inductive or capacitive loads you obviously do.

PF correction has always been considered to some degree in domestic installations. That is why PF correction capacitors have been fitted to the older type of fluorescent lamp fittings which employ highly inductive coils for the past fifty years or so.

Due to the present cost of electricity more emphisis is being placed on PF correction both in domestic and industrial applications. However, as has always been the case in industry this will stop short of unity due to the laws of diminishing returns.

I will put this one to bed now so that anyone who wishes can return to the origional question.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...