We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP reinstallation CD

jammy07

Likes # 0

My laptop completely crashed recently thanks to Vista trying to update itself, so I decided to up/downgrade to XP. I bought an OEM copy of XP Pro from Amazon; it was another seller, but it was fulfilled by Amazon.

However, upon opening it, it turns out to be a reinstallation CD for a dell computer, despite being clearly advertised as a full copy of XP Pro. Before I go shouting at the seller, can I just check whether this CD will work on a non-Dell PC which doesn't have XP installed already?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Jammy i hate to tell you this but a XP home/pro disc and a re installation disc are two totally different types, the first one is the operating system and the second one just resets everything as if youve just formatted the drive and put a fresh copy of the XP on the drive!

if the seller has sold u it as a "OEM copy of XP Pro" but it turns out its a Reinstalation disc they have sent you either the wrong disc in which i would get back to them and demand they send you what they sold you! or Grill them on the feedback and cancel the payment!

Let us know what happens! shame really ive just given two copies of XP Pro away to a person i dont really know!

Like this post
jammy07

Likes # 0

As I suspected. Thanks for your help. Let the shouting commence...

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

lol scream hard and loud! :-)

Like this post
PalaeoBill

Likes # 0

Have you tried to install and authenticate from them? I recently 'repaired' two Vista machines with XP Pro bought in the same manner as yours. The discs that arrived were Dell re-installation discs, they installed no problem on an Acer and a home build PC. The activation keys that came on the licence stickers worked just fine and were indeed unused and unregistered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...