We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help me choose a netbook

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looking at getting a netbook to use on holidays [wife likes her surfing] for the internet. I had always thought MSI & Samsung were the better two makes. But a bit out of touch these days.

what our priority specs are

long battery life. 2g of RAM for internet use mainly, do not want a slow sluggish netbook. comes with restore dongle / cd so if the hdd died i could restore to a new hdd [the restore dvd option in our sony laptop does not allow this on a new hdd so dont want that scenario again] cost looking cheaper end, will not need fancy software except windows 7 etc.

any tips, advice, links please. not in a rush just yet needed for autum but may buy sooner if i see a good option.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I bought an HP Netbook Mini 210-1011 just over a year ago and have had great service from it. As with many of the early netbooks I found that I needed to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb and the OS from Win 7 Starter to Win 7 Home Premium to make it work speedily and to work with all my applications. It does have a long battery life (over 9 hours) with the extended battery that I have, it is nicely portable and has served me well.

That said if I was looking for a model today I would probably go with this Asus Transformer which on the face of it has all the advantages of a tablet when travelling and can be used with a keyboard for a semi-fixed installation at home. I have no experience with it. The other alternative I would consider is the IPad2.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If you are 'looking cheaper end' you could do worse than looking at Argos ebay outlet. They have a good selection of refurbished with their own 12 month warranty at good savings on new. I wouldn't bother too much about having to replace hard drive or upgrading memory if you really only need it for browsing. I've an Acer 255 which is quite adequate for that and has a very good battery life, around 7 - 8 hours of reasonable use. Argos ebay store

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thank you for the links

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This one from canarieslover's link is very similar to the one I bought last March and I paid nearly twice that. But I still think you will need to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb or be prepared to wait for applications to load.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

are refurbished one ok

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

" are refurbished one ok" With a 12 month guarantee I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was what I was looking for and at the right price.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Netbooks?

To a degree we're talking about yesterday's technology here; the industry has decided that Netbooks are out - tablets are the next big thing. The market will be flooded with them come the autumn, and everyone who said 'over my dead body' will be thinking 'Hmmm, maybe I might take the plunge.'

I hasten to admit that I was a leader of the Tablet Luddite Association, but then I acquired an iPad, and my world changed almost overnight.

All that is just my waffly way of suggesting that you reserve judgement, and check out some tablet reviews - both now and in a few months time. You said you were in no rush.

If a netbook is a definite must-have, there are plenty available. For what it's worth I have one - it's an Acer Aspire One AOD255 that has a dual-core Atom processor, 250Gb hard drive, and 1Gb RAM. It has a superb display, runs Windows 7 like a dream, and was frankly an absolute bargain, although I would have liked 2Gb of RAM. Most of the time it sits in its case, although I do take it with me when I'm working abroad and need Office 2010. Otherwise it's the iPaq when I'm on the move.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mine is a Samsung nc10 the old one up to about 9 hour run time, but how I have set it and use it about 7hour 160Gig drive 1 Gig Memory XP Home would not need no more that that, its a very good Netbook.

PS It starts up faster than my HP 510 Notebook also running XP Home with 2Gig memory a 60oGig drive a 2.13GHz Centrino CPU Pentium M

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

fe and woodchip thanks had a browse around google reviews and visited tesco/pcworld/maplin all close to each other here. very surprised by pcwold who told me netbooks sold through them are not upgradable to 2gb of RAM, In maplin saw a samsung NF110 [£249]which could be upgraded to 2gb of RAM. That looked ok.the lad said the factory reset is in the bios not a hidden partition so the hdd could be replaced without loosing factory settings never heard of this has he got it right?

tablets are a problem as my wife has a tremour and needs a hardware keyboard.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

tablets Not for me, No Handles and not lid to protect them. How do you carry one? how do you protect the screen

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...