We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help me choose a netbook

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looking at getting a netbook to use on holidays [wife likes her surfing] for the internet. I had always thought MSI & Samsung were the better two makes. But a bit out of touch these days.

what our priority specs are

long battery life. 2g of RAM for internet use mainly, do not want a slow sluggish netbook. comes with restore dongle / cd so if the hdd died i could restore to a new hdd [the restore dvd option in our sony laptop does not allow this on a new hdd so dont want that scenario again] cost looking cheaper end, will not need fancy software except windows 7 etc.

any tips, advice, links please. not in a rush just yet needed for autum but may buy sooner if i see a good option.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Earlier I suggested the Asus Transformer as an alternative to a netbook and this does have the advantage of being able to dock with a keyboard which would overcome your wife's difficulty with a tablet. To me it is the best of both worlds and I just wish I had the means to buy it.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

With regard to the Samsung I believe the 'salesman' has got the wrong information. You can download the manual from Samsung and see that the procedure needs you to make backup disks that you will then use to restore the system if things go wrong. Probably he is confusing using the bios to boot from usb external drive. Obvious on-cost is that you will need an external DVD writer, but this will no doubt apply to most netbooks. Samsung Manual

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The BIOS as nothing to do with the Restore DVD's its contained in the CMOS chip.

BIOS is Software that is used to setup the Hardware. Samsung Restore Discs are supplied with the Netbook Mine was for my nc10

PS Updating the BIOS may allow 2 Gig of ram to be used, but if its only one slot it means buying a 2 Gig stick of Ram. and removing the old one stick

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

canarieslover,woodchip,chub_tor

thankyou for the advice, when the salesman in maplin told me, he sound so confident and I thought that was a good idea and surprised i had never heard of it and thought there was a memory card of some sort inside with the factory image on.

just shows we can all get had over but salesmen either being dodgy or lacking knoweledge of their products.

not too keen on the detachable keyboard option. might loook at a mini laptop with good battery time any opinions please.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Last piece of advice, make sure you buy it with some time to spare before you go on holiday. Then check for all Windows updates. It's doubtful whether SP1 will be on there already and the last thing you want is to be away from home and faced with an install that can take an hour +. It has you chewing your fingernails wondering if the battery will last long enough or will you end up with a corrupt update.

Like this post
xquest

Likes # 0

I have the same sort of question and seem to have narrowed my choice down to the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 11 and the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101.

But the Asus runs the Android 3 OS so (and I show my ignorance here) does this mean that my applications which run on my Windows 7 desktop won't run on the Asus?
If so then it will have to be the Thinkpad (which has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, same as my desktop).

Do you (Sunnystaines) need to run all sorts of applications or what ? This might influence your choice. Or have I misunderstood the principle of the Android OS?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If a Program is written for windows I cannot see it working on a Android computer

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woodchip same opinon here too, perfer mouse and keyboard.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

andriod ok on a phone by prefer w7 on a computer.

Like this post
xquest

Likes # 0

Thanks folks, I agree that Windows 7 is preferable, so have ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad. I spend up to 9 hours on Wednesdays sitting around at a Blackburn hospital while wife has treatment so I shall have a happy time exploring the Lenovo. Might even need a spare battery if they only run for 3 hours ! Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......