We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mesh computers in Administration, what are my rights as a customer??

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to you all. I just found out this morning, about an hour ago, that Mesh computers has gone into administration. I've recently purchased a desktop Pc from them, and it was on a finance agreement, as I paid the deposti of £70. I've had the desktop for about 3 weeks now, and it works ok.....as the PC was purchased on a finace agreement, I have until April 25th of next year to pay off the balance of around £550 which is left to pay off, or I have tp pay about £25 per montn for the next 4 years to pay it all off. I just wanted to find out where I stand now please??

Do i just make sure that ive paid off the balance as agreed before April 25 of next year....or will MESH contact me shortly asking me to pay up now please?? The finace agreement is not through Mesh, its throgh another finance company. many thanks Jules

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Apologies for the Martian writing.

Like this post
caps5

Likes # 0

""Whoever you buy from ALWAYS pay by credit card"

You are also protected if you use a debit card."

hi, a month ago i paid for my mesh computer with a debit card and today spoke at length with Consumer Direct, they advised me that should i have used a credit card then the refund would be pretty straight forward. however, as i used a Debit Card there is little chance of me getting my money back! for my money to be refunded either the Administrators would have to refund me (unlikely as Mesh has a lot of people wanting a refund and there is no way the administrators would be able to pay all of us back with the funds made be selling Mesh to the new owners, PC Peripherals.) OR i can apply for a 'VISA chargeback form' from my bank (for this to be successful i require a large 'gesture of goodwill from my bank. The person from Consumer Direct advised what with the large numbers of companies going under lately the banks are receiving a lot of these requests and will not agree to all of them)

sorry for the lengthy reply but i think its important that people know that for peace of mind, ALWAYS pay by credit card

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Debit cards have a protection called chargeback, chargeback can be used in cases of goods not arriving, arriving damaged, arriving not as described, or where the merchant has ceased trading.

Credit cards are protected by chargeback (under £100) or section 75, over £100. It is worth remembering that if you pay for part of a purchase using credit cards (even as little as £1)the whole amount(if over £100) is protected by Section 75. This is one way to avoid heavy fees when booking Hols. Pay £1 by credit and the rest by cash. So if you paid the deposit by Credit Card you may have more rights should things go wrong.

I am no finance expert, my info comes from Which (and I don't work for them either)

Like this post
caps5

Likes # 0

"Debit cards have a protection called chargeback, chargeback can be used in cases of goods not arriving, arriving damaged, arriving not as described, or where the merchant has ceased trading."

it is down to the bank whether or not they will give you this 'gesture of good will' and in this economic climate i wouldnt hold my breath on that.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

caps5

Which has advice about chargeback, going so far as to say it is less well known than section 75 and some bank staff are unaware of it, also suggesting going to the financial ombudsman to get satisfaction .

Your experience with this is obvious not a good outcome.

I would love to post all their article but may fall foul of some copywrites etc.

It could be worth you trying their 21 day trial for a pound, it is a good read whatever the personal result you acheive. Good Luck to you and Julius44.

I re-iterate I have no connection with any Magazine, consumer or otherwise.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it is down to the bank whether or not they will give you this 'gesture of good will'" (debit card chargeback).

A debit card charge-back is not a 'gesture of goodwill' at all. The system applies to all debit cards, and although there are some small difference in the way that individual banks deal with the process it is certainly not something over which bank staff have discretion.

If a member of your bank's staff tries to tell you they 'don't do debit card charge-backs, or denies any knowledge of the system, ask to speak to someone more senior.

What normally happens is that once the formalities have been completed your bank will credit your account in full,and will then attempt to recover the funds from the seller's bank.

Take no notice of anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps to save all the arguing and fall-outs, it might perhaps pay to read this link?. www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/company-administration-help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......