We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virgin media detrimental use of broadband (False advertising)

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi sorry to clutter the Forum with my threads BUT i think i have a good point here, I have been with Virgin Media for six months, i own a Quadcore Extreme pc (this is relevant to this story and how you get your broadband speeds) i have the 50MB package and the unlimited phone service basically the best package they offer, I have had some issue with their phone charges relating to my landline and the 0845 numbers but thats another story, i download around 150 gig a month watching HD films on Iplayer and so so..

Ive just had the postman give me a letter from Virgin Media titled "Detrimental use of broadband" now this basically states that if i dont slow down my usage they will cut me off???

I was on the phone with them last week due to their charges which was wrong and i asked What exactly is "Unlimited Usage" is there a "Fair usage policy" clause thrown in here?

The guy on the phone stated "NO the unlimited usage means EXACTLY what it states and that you can feel free to download as bigger files as you require"...

So WHY have i received this letter? is this False Advertising? ive also done some research online and found this thread in Virgins own Forum speaks volumes really!

READ HERE

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

d@ve thanks!

Here is another email from them! i feel like adding screenshots to prove my story!

Heres what he said 20 mins ago:

Hi ,

Just to confirm that the unlimited broadband means you can download an unlimited amount but there is a fair usage policy, if you download a large amount of data in peak times and it starts to effect other customers then you will be subject to detrimental use.

I would advise that you call the number I provided to you in the last email and speak with internet security and they will be able to provide you with all the information that you require.

You can download and upload as much data as you want as long as it is outside the peak hours, if you continue to download large amounts of data in the peak hours then you will fall subject to the detrimental use policy.

Kind regards

Raj Tandon | Lead Associate - Chief Executives Office

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

" It was presented to you via one of our agents that you can download as much as you like with no impact on the service. This is incorrect information, the service does carry an unlimited download amount;"

It seems that they cannot agree on what their Fair Use policy is and in addition they don't know the difference between effect and affect...

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

chub_tor indeed its looking that way!

I dont think they know what is right and what is wrong? all i know is i feel i'm been fobbed off here!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

"if you download a large amount of data in peak times and it starts to effect other customers then you will be subject to detrimental use"

You should ask them to define what exactly a large amount of data is. 30GB? 50GB? 200GB?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The point that's being made here is that you may download as much data as you like, provided your activity doesn't act to the detriment of other users.

There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth - all of us are effectively in contention when we're online. If my bandwidth consumption started to effect your enjoyment of the Internet I'm sure you would be unhappy.

Internet service providers cannot supply each of us with what amounts to a blank cheque in terms of bandwidth, so they operate a fair use policy. As far as I'm aware there are no published bandwidth limits - you'll be told when you are using too much, as you've discovered.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

FE then is it fare to advertise as "Unlimited" when as we have discovered here it clearly is not the case? as in any business if you advertise a product that can be used an unlimited amount of times and it simply doesn't then you should and would expect customers to complain as another member stated its Weasel practice for them to then go back on what they advertise on their site many times?

Ok put urself in my shoes! ive had them (VM)for half a year and just recently took advantage of iplayer and HD movies how would you all feel if they contacted you about your "Unlimited" bandwidth to tell you we are going to either do one or both of the following: slow your speed down or service cut off? i am pretty sure majority would be pretty peed off..

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

FE I can see both sides of the argument here and I am in agreement that unlimited downloading at any time of the day would affect other users and is not a good thing or something that can be sustained. But in fairness to Autoschediastic Virgin do publish their fair use policy for speeds other than their 50Mb XXL package and they clearly state the Fair Use Amount for both downloading and uploading at various times of the day. Click Here

For their top level package however they merely use the abbreviation N/A which I suggest that most people would read as Not Applicable and hence assume that if they buy that package there would be no restriction at any time of the day on the amount that they can download.

By their ambiguity Virgin have left themselves open to getting complaints from customers who have purchased the XXL package and now feel agrieved at not getting what they thought they had paid for. If Virgin had just published a Fair Use amount for this top package we wouldn't be in this discussion today.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

chub_tor i fully agree with you!

and i do also on the point u made "Virgin have left themselves open to getting complaints from customers who have purchased the XXL package and now feel agrieved at not getting what they thought they had paid for. If Virgin had just published a Fair Use amount for this top package we wouldn't be in this discussion today"

Well worded! thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact is, Virgin Media clearly states in the terms and conditions applying to the XXL package that:-

"Acceptable use policy applies. Traffic Management operates from 4pm to 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure a consistent user experience."

The acceptable use policy - which is also clearly laid out in the terms and conditions - states that:-

"...in isolated cases (currently less than 0.1% of customers) where excessive network usage at busy times (9am to 9pm) is having a detrimental effect on other users, we may need to take appropriate action in accordance with the terms of this AUP to notify users of the impact they are having and require them to move some of their activity into the less busy period."

You've stated that you download around 150Gb of data a month. That's equivalent to about 30 average length HD movies, and would be considered excessive by any ISP if a large part of it was being done at peak times. It's unfair to other users in the same contention group as you, and it's certain to be the reason you've received a warning.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

I'l give VM that FE but then that's WHY i pay the high price i do for the XXL package to be able to get the bandwidth over others! now i'm been scrutinised for using it? excessive or not! i pay more for a faster unlimited as is stated service! maybe they should look at making things CLEAR rather then N/A on the pages?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad