We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virgin media detrimental use of broadband (False advertising)

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi sorry to clutter the Forum with my threads BUT i think i have a good point here, I have been with Virgin Media for six months, i own a Quadcore Extreme pc (this is relevant to this story and how you get your broadband speeds) i have the 50MB package and the unlimited phone service basically the best package they offer, I have had some issue with their phone charges relating to my landline and the 0845 numbers but thats another story, i download around 150 gig a month watching HD films on Iplayer and so so..

Ive just had the postman give me a letter from Virgin Media titled "Detrimental use of broadband" now this basically states that if i dont slow down my usage they will cut me off???

I was on the phone with them last week due to their charges which was wrong and i asked What exactly is "Unlimited Usage" is there a "Fair usage policy" clause thrown in here?

The guy on the phone stated "NO the unlimited usage means EXACTLY what it states and that you can feel free to download as bigger files as you require"...

So WHY have i received this letter? is this False Advertising? ive also done some research online and found this thread in Virgins own Forum speaks volumes really!

READ HERE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wee eddie I thought that "N/A" means Not Applicable

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There's your Advertising Conundrum for you then. Both may be correct

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I too would read and argue that given the format of the table N/A would mean Not Applicable.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Chub_tor yes i agree without been Bias it depends on the situation! for example if u are filling in a application as ive done many times when they ask for certain details i put N/A meaning not available..

Whereas when i applied for a motorbike on finance they asked me if i wanted insurance thrown in with the deal i noticed that on the contract form for the bike "N/A" meant when its contract based mean Not applicable..meaning "Doesn't Exists"...so basing in the fact i have took a 12 month contract out with VM and on the basis its a formal arrangement as in contract i would put my money on the N/A on their site as been " Not applicable" or in VM's terms there isnt any restriction what so ever..

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic

Have you thought about raising this issue with Virgins ISP watchdog www.ispa.org.uk or Ofcom www.ofcom.org.uk seeing if they have had previous concerns brought to their attention, if you are not raising the matter further with Virgin?.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Spuds! cheers! thanks a fantastic site il do it now!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wish to retract my post of Jun 1 '11 at 12:22 'Seems quite clear and reasonable to me' as the clause I quoted does not appear to apply to the package you are on (N/A) so I wish you well with your complaint and hope it gets sorted.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Wow what a contradiction ive been told! here is the reply ive just had! whats ur thoughts?

Hi *,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I will do my best to clarify all the issues raised.

You've stated that you have a detrimental usage letter in conjunction to the amount that you've been downloading. It was presented to you via one of our agents that you can download as much as you like with no impact on the service. This is incorrect information, the service does carry an unlimited download amount; however, as you are downloading such a large amount during the peak hours this will be effecting other customers service.

I would advise that you move all heavy downloading to after 9pm and before 9am. This will ensure that the amount of data downloaded and uploaded will not be monitored and therefore will not count towards the detrimental usage policy.

The agent that informed you of this information will be investigated and the correct internal processes will be followed. Unfortunately; I'll be unable to inform you of the outcome of this investigation due to employee confidentiality. If you wish to discuss this further I would ask that you contact the number on the letter which is 0845 2347007 or you can contact myself on the number below or via this email address.

Kind regards

Raj Tandon | Lead Associate - Chief Executives Office

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

What I don't understand is why for all the other broadband packages that they make it perfectly clear how much you can download during peak hours, and what the consequences are for going over that amount, yet for their flagship package you are just left in the dark, and then when you do exceed this unknown magic number you receive letters such as the one you have. Surely it would be better for everyone if it said in black and white something along the lines of:

"If your monthly usage exceeds 150GB per month during peak hours (0900-2100), then we may enforce our acceptable use policy".

At least everyone would know where they stand then!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK