We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virgin media detrimental use of broadband (False advertising)

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi sorry to clutter the Forum with my threads BUT i think i have a good point here, I have been with Virgin Media for six months, i own a Quadcore Extreme pc (this is relevant to this story and how you get your broadband speeds) i have the 50MB package and the unlimited phone service basically the best package they offer, I have had some issue with their phone charges relating to my landline and the 0845 numbers but thats another story, i download around 150 gig a month watching HD films on Iplayer and so so..

Ive just had the postman give me a letter from Virgin Media titled "Detrimental use of broadband" now this basically states that if i dont slow down my usage they will cut me off???

I was on the phone with them last week due to their charges which was wrong and i asked What exactly is "Unlimited Usage" is there a "Fair usage policy" clause thrown in here?

The guy on the phone stated "NO the unlimited usage means EXACTLY what it states and that you can feel free to download as bigger files as you require"...

So WHY have i received this letter? is this False Advertising? ive also done some research online and found this thread in Virgins own Forum speaks volumes really!

READ HERE

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Virgin Acceptable Use Policy Click Here

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

bremner thanks for the link, The question i would like to ask is WHY is Virgin then advertising "Unlimited Usage" but then capping the amount you have?

isnt that false advertising??? how do they get away with this? its on the same basis as the ISP's advertising "UPTO" speeds on their broadband packages? maybe this should be looked into and outright stopped! its simply NOT fair and its "Trickery"

As the guy stated on the phone i can use the BB as much as i want whenever i want..then VM are stating different??? anyway ive reported this to OFCOM..i can CLEARLY see i am not the only person that has a sour taste in my mouth over this...

Can you see my point NOTE the left hand side under the XL package READ THIS

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

On the left hand side under the XL package in the small print at the bottom it says under The Legal Stuff.... Acceptable Use Policy Applies and it is a Link to the Policy that bremner listed. It may not what you want to hear, but I can't see how OFCOM will uphold your case, they will presume that you read the small print before you signed your agreement with Virgin Media.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They do not 'cap' you, just slow you down to allow others to get a good speed at peak times.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"it's simply NOT fair and it's 'Trickery'"

Not if you contract states clearly about usage. Hogging bandwidth that someone else might want to use is possibly NOT fair?.

If you think that you have been treated unfairly, then contact Virgin for an explanation, especially if you have evidence that their advisor's are issuing out wrong statements.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

chub_tor ok lets look at it this way its a bizarre way to look at it but a good example nevertheless, you go to ASDA they advertise All you can eat buffet in their cafe, you go to fill your plate then decide you want some more, you go back but are then told the "All you can eat policy is for one plateful ONLY" is that fair.? i dont think so! And its the exact same here! they shouldn't be allowed to word their packages as "UNLIMITED" when clearly they are not unlimited period!!

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

spuds VM have just lost a customer! and i hope that one day someone from the senior ranks reads this thread!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Think of it as a sports car, you can go as many miles as you want to but you have to slow down somtimes and keep to the speed limits.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic

I have been with Virgin Media for six months

VM have just lost a customer!

Think you'll find you have to fulfil the term of your Contract first.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

BT not a chance! they have lied to me over the usage! and i will stand my ground!

wiz-king lool loved it! :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia