We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

best PC deals for under £400 or less?

Jinsie

Likes # 0

Apologies in advance for the high levels of naivety in this post! A bit of exposition, so skip this paragraph if you want to cut to the chase... Last night my 4-year-old Acer Aspire finally conked out (1GB RAM), and after panicking got an iMac downtown this morning, their smallest model, 21.5'' screen, from which i type now. I made sure to check about their returns policy, which is allegedly 14 days. Whilst this is all very swish and I'm already becoming too cosy with it, buyer's guilt is gnawing away and my financial state is such that it's hard to even justify this as a wise investment.

So, having glazed over Currys' site and seen some more prudent cheapo deals, i thought i'd ask people who know the score - just so i don't get totally screwed. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pcs/317305530057xxBA00002933-BV00196169/xx-criteria.html?sSortInfo=price-asc

Are Currys even worth their salt? The Aspire I ordered online back in 2007 was via a site I forget that came highly recommended, it seemed user-based and I felt I was getting a good deal at the time.

I'll be using the computer for the internet a lot, word processing and music. I have a full 70gig external hard drive so I'd like enough room to tide me over until i can afford to upgrade on that. Just in the market for something cheap and reliable basically, and any hints anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, Jinsie

Like this post
Jinsie

Likes # 0

just spotted the typo in the thread title. d'oh

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Link doesn't take you to the PC, so don't know what specs or budget you are working to. If you are happy to buy online there are better deals available, try ebuyer and Novatech, both reputable sellers.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Take a look at the Argos Outlet Store on ebay, especially if you would consider buying a refurbished PC, e.g. this one You get the odd bargain in the price-cuts section and the clearance section of the main Argos website, though the clearance section seems to be less up to date than the ebay page.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features