We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I wonder

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

If I should report BT for misleading adverts.I have had two bits of post today telling me what a wonderful offer they can do me for a " fantastic broadband package" I don't call a broadband speed of 1.2Mb fantastic! And, that's on a good day.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I think you will find that the weasel words they use on their contracts will say something like "up to...". I suspect you will waste your time and money in trying to get them to really give you what you think should be due to you! It seems to me that most ISP's use the same terminology and unless you live in the local exchange, I doubt you will get the speeds you anticipate. Unless you are in the Fibre Optics system, which should be somewhat better than copper wire!

There has been many comments on this Forum which relate to similar problems of paying for something and not getting what people think they are paying for. On the other hand, there are people here who do get what they have paid for.

Not an easy problem to sort out!

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The practice of 'upto' will shortly stop, and an 'expected' will be the replacement word (according to Ofcom!).

The only problem there of cause is 'expected' which might mean the same as 'upto' in guaranteeing speeds?.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about my speed (much), it's the delivering of adverts in the post to addresses that cant possibly make good use of what is described in the advert. If they a blanket advertising the whole area then they are using thousands of trees and miles of shoe leather for nowt.

The advert does not actually mention any speeds, it just lists a load of things I can have free or at a low cost. It's the thing it does not mention that irks me - decent broadband speed. I am waiting for Infinity but it's living up to it's name, the install date keep vanishing into the distance, was March, then May and is now July.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?