We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much to ask for my PC when selling

Maoleis

Likes # 0

Hi,

Earlier this year I hit overclockers and ordered myself some new parts and ended up buying a whole new system. After many a steam purchase I must now go to Uni and it has to go. Only trouble is given how quick computers depreciate, how much can I reasonably ask for the following specs:

AsRock N68s Mainboard DDR2+DDR3 AMD Athlon Dual Core 5000 (2.4GHZ) 4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM 500 GB SATA Hard Disk NVIDIA 9800 GT graphics card Antec 300 Gaming Case

I'm not offering a monitor, but wireless peripherals go with it and a USB 360 pad.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Peace - Mao

Like this post
Maoleis

Likes # 0

Addendum: Windows 7 Ultimate is the OS.

Like this post
Maoleis

Likes # 0

More detailed specs courtesy of my Overclockers receipt:

Asrock SKT-AM2 N68-S Motherboard AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.70GHz (Socket AM2) – Retail 4GB DDR2 Kingston RAM (2GB Twin) Asus GeForce EN9800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail Hiper 530W HPU-4M530 SLi Certified ATX 2.2 PSU LiteON DH-20A4P-21C 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) – OEM

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

For you info, I recently sold my about the same specs for £50. Hope that helps.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I generally find that a good indicator can be obtained from a auction site, something like eBay. Your local newspaper might have adverts, as might the local shop or store with a public sales notice board.

What is the price you are hoping to sell it for?.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You are likely to be very disappointed with the price, although I think that rickf is probably slightly underrating your selling abilities.

Your main problem will be actually finding a potential Buyer.

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

You are probably best off advertising in a local newspaper than ebay if you ask for me for something like a second hand PC. how much did you pay for it, try it for something you'd expect to pay for a second hand machine of that spec.

It sad but PCs lose so much of their value when you come to wanting to sell one, I too a while back wanted to sell my old PC but in the end I thought I might as well keep it as a second PC in another room than have it go for such a little price.

But you maybe lucky in a newspaper articles for sale ad and get a reasonable amount for it.

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

Not sure where you are in the UK - I am Nr Cheletenham - might be interested if you can give me a price - stick a reply on here and I will reply - I am sure you want it to go to a good home ! ( I want to start messing with Linus and it could be a good test machine )

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

stick a reply on here and I will reply

Please don't do that - we can't accept posts which offer goods for sale under any circumstances.

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

ooops . sorry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

We used to use the 'wee envelope', to send each other such messages, but that's currently under development, I think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes