We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is now the right time to go 64-bit?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Ive been looking into upgrading or buying a new system, but am unsure of whether to take the plunge into 64bit or to just stick with 32bit? I had enough incompatibility issues with both Vista and 7 on 32bit trying to run many XP programs and hardware, which had me beginning to think that windows compatibility was increasing getting alot worse than ever before, which perhaps might open the market up to a far wider range of operating systems as a result than ever. Not that thats a bad thing! Im thinking now may not be the right time to go 64bit, especially if alot of drivers for hardware may still not yet be available, or for old hardware, never will be. In the end I think Ill probably end up with a dual boot system with XP and possibly Windows 8 when its released later this year, so ignoring any older XP era hardware or programs, has anyone had major incompatibility issues with a 64bit system, using Vista or 7, when trying to run current 32bit hardware or programs? Thanks for any info :)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I went Win 7 64bit earlier this year and had no problems except for my old scanner. The installation disk for that was for Win95 and I could not find any drivers for it not even XP ones. I run quite early software that was designed for Win 98 with little trouble.- I might just be lucky.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've got 64 bit Windows 7 and the only problem I've got is a couple of games that no longer work, but that could be down to Windows 7 itself, rather than the 64 bit environment...

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

being able to run software as far back as 95 on 64bit is a good sign, as even XP would struggle with alot of 95 software that I had tested before :) most sites I looked at were suggesting that the situation wasnt good, that alot of drivers for certain hardware (eg printers) could be a big problem on 64bit. I suppose if its big branded/for popular hardware, then its likely that 64bit compatible drivers are going to pop up eventually, official or not, in the end :) thanks for that

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

sorry read that first reply too fast, about your 95 era scanner installation disc! :( yeah-its hard to tell if some incompatibility issues may be the result of using the new operating system in general, rather than the fact that its now 64bit

Like this post

Likes # 0

Although I was very wary about 64 bit Windows initially I think things have resolved themselves now

Both my latest desktop and laptop have 64 bit and have been problem free

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You will only experience issues with drivers for old peripherals in W7 64 bit.

A problem with software compatibility in W7 64 bit will be the same in W7 32 bit.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well you have 2 internet explorers for start off.

I would have rather stayed with the 32 Bit version and did not notice this was a 64 Bit version until I got home.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I was cautious about upgrading to a 64 bit OS (Vista) in 2009 but I've had very little trouble.

In fact the only trouble I've had is a few old games not working that I can do without anyway !

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I bought Windows7 retail pack with both discs included but stuck with 32 because of printer & scanner compatibility problems. As I replace these, I could change to 64 bit but what would I notice?

Can it be changed without reinstalling everything in the OS?

In other words, why should I bother, might as well wait for Windows8.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Muergo

I think you can only use one of those discs from the pack, so if you chose 32 bit you must legally stick with that

I've no doubt many will now tell you how to get around that Microsoft condition

But, as you say, if all is working well, why not wait for Windows 8

Unless you are into high speed gaming I don't think it's worth thinking about

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added