We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8.5 Gig blank DVDs (Cheapest place)

Portal11

Likes # 0

Hiya guys does anyone know where i can find a cheap place for buying a cake of around 25/50+ please? i have seen the amazon's own brand BUT they have terrible reviews regarding Coasting! i would rather stick with a known brand but would be willing to take a chance..

Thanks

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The problem with a 8.5gb DVD is that the drive and the disk must be absolutly perfect because the data is highly compressed.

Whichever one you choose I would suggest the following, make sure the DVD is 100% clean, use a solution like Isopropyl to wipe the disk and allow to dry. Burn at the lowest possible speed, Do not run any other program while these are burning.

Terry

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Terry thanks for the advice! my dvd Burners are new, i just bought two Sony ones two months ago, thanks

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

I usually get a tub of 25 Verbatim ones here

http://new.ukdvdr.co.uk/cat.php?s=DVD%2BR+Dual+Layer&nav=824

I've never had a coaster yet with these. I only burn at 4x even though they are rated at 8.

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

This article gives some good information about discs especially a little down the page.

link text

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

JoeC thanks for the explanation! that link was pretty good eh!

The best deal ive found is this!

50 disc cake for £13

link text

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Just looked at reviews on my last link above from Eclipse computers! they got absolutely slated to death for aftersales customer services so try this one its better

link text

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I stick with Verbatim as JoeC said - I've never had a problem with them. Slightly cheaper at Amazon

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Just out of courisity, I tried a small experiment.

If you create an image of the video file to your hard drive, then use that image to burn to a DVD, you use less resourses and get a better quality burn.

You can view the image using a program like Virtual clone drive to 'Read' the image before burning, to be sure it is what you want (and save the cost of a 'Coaster'

Terry

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Terry Brown I hadn't looked at quality comparison, but I use Adobe Premiere Elements for video editing but only burn to HDD with it, I then use Imnburn to burn the DVD. I then always have a "burn ready" file on my PC should I ever need it and the process takes less time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes